Author Topic: Abbado BPO M3  (Read 11379 times)

Wunderhorn

Re: Abbado BPO M3
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 04:33:53 AM »
I had this recording. Unfortunately I do not have it now. I deserve a stiff kick-in-the-crutch for having sold so many of my compact discs! The female solo is very Flagstadian. The climax of the 'Bimm-Bamm' of children's choir is all wrong in my view, but perhaps I wouldn't be so picky if I hadn't heard how Bernstein did it in his DG version. Overall it is a fine recording, as all of his Berlin/Live have been so far. Has anyone notice the torrent of great Italian Mahler conductor's, Abbado, Bertini, and Chailly. I'm sure there are many more!  :)

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 07:19:16 AM »
One slight correction. Bertini is an Italian name, I reckon, but he was actually Israeli. His conducting reminds me a little bit of Inbal - maybe a bit more tempered.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 06:28:18 PM »
Upon revisting the Abbado/BPO M3 recently...I have to say it has now become my top M3...it really is incredible in every way.  The sonics don't bother me, and the performance has a special tonality I can't describe, and the tempos are judged just right for my taste...I have a tendency to prefer slow performances, but Abbado shows me another vision for the work, and I'm simply blown away.

Not only is the 1st movement here among the most exciting with raw power, but the inner movements to this performance are far different in concept than his earlier VPO account...here these movements flow and throw off breath taking nuances at every turn with a wonderful atmospheric quality, and now I have to admit this BPO surpasses the earlier VPO, which was a real favorite of mine of a long time. 

--Todd

Offline akiralx

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 09:52:43 AM »
I just culled this - not because it was bad but because I found I always chose another M3 over it.  I did listen to the CzPO/Kobayashi SACD the other day, and I'd forgotten  how good it really is, certainly my top M3.

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 04:43:08 AM »
My $.02 worth on NYC recording venues: Occasionally the NY Phil has used the Manhattan Center, which I understand is a ballroom. Recorded sound is vastly superior to that obtained at Avery Fischer Hall. Yuri Temirkanov's R-K Scheherezade on RCA is among the best-sounding recordings I've ever heard, in support of a terrific performance. Also, Sinopoli conducting the Respighi Roman Trilogy and a disc including Scriabin's Third Symphony on DG are outstanding too.

As a Chicagoan, I feel the pain of New Yorkers who have to put up with the Fischer. We have to grit our teeth and endure Orchestra Hall.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 11:19:46 PM »
The Abbado BPO M3 STILL sounds amazing.  I just had another listen this afternoon and had to be peeled off the floor afterwards!

--Todd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk