Author Topic: M9 from Taijiro Iimori/TCPO/Fontec  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
M9 from Taijiro Iimori/TCPO/Fontec
« on: November 02, 2009, 06:06:32 PM »
Another new M9 just recieved from Japan.  Here are the timings:

I. 27.18
II. 15.50
III. 13.00
IV. 26.14

I have not heard this conductor yet...I can't to hear this...looks promising as well!

Will report soon.

--Todd

Offline John Kim

Re: M9 from Taijiro Iimori/TCPO/Fontec
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 08:44:37 PM »
...the timings are more or less within the mainstream norm.

John,

Offline alpsman

Re: M9 from Taijiro Iimori/TCPO/Fontec
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 08:59:05 PM »
I just end my listening session of the M9 under Taijiro Iimori.

I. The first bars are completely dissapointing. No mystery, no atmosphere, the playing and phrasing strangely amorphous. Later the things are no better. Climaxes are without inner intensity and the calm moments without repose either. So the first movement is a great dissapointment for me.

II. Second movement no lilt, no waltzing, nothing especially interesting.

III. Third mov. and the things begin to sound more involved. The closing bars of the movement splendity frenzied and excellently executed by the japs.

And THEN

IV. A splendid performance. I immediately listen to the whole last movement again.

So what the #^^%#$ happened?
I had heard this symphony live more than once with exactly the same problem: A weak start and later things improved. I think that this happens for two reasons: First orchestras and maestros rehearsed mostly the finale as this is the climax of the whole work and the most popular movement. And second you need the masterly, the wizzadry and the concentration of a Karajan, a Bernstein or a Haitink to be inside the complex world of the 9th from zero.

The playing of the Tokyo City Philh. O. is pretty accurate, civilized but without the understanding of central europeans.
The recording is really state of the art.
The whole symphony was recorded during only 1 concert at November 14th, and maybe without patching sessions, so a big bravo to musicians and maestro.( By the way a lot of noices from Iimori, as with the other Japanese Kobayashi. Seems that Japanese are pretty outmannered and externalized)

My final verdict: a mixed bag, but I am happy to have this recording.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk