Author Topic: complete Mahler with Svetlanov avail. from HMV Japan  (Read 7432 times)

Offline barry guerrero

complete Mahler with Svetlanov avail. from HMV Japan
« on: November 12, 2009, 06:18:32 PM »
I don't recall ever seeing this before. My guess is that tempi are probably quick throughout. His M6 got issued separately years ago, it was rather fast paced. I wonder if anything is sung in Russian, as with the Kondrashin set (?).

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3706027

Barry

Offline Dave H

Re: complete Mahler with Svetlanov avail. from HMV Japan
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 08:59:59 PM »
It was released about 15 years ago on Le Chant du Monde, if that is the same one, and it is almost entirely lousy (and badly recorded, and terribly played). The Ninth was fun, though, since he gets through the Rondo:Burleske in about 11 minutes. The big symphonies with voices (2, 3, 8) are just atrocious. Ditto the singing (in German). I met the producer in Cannes--it was very funny. My colleague (and now partner) Christophe Huss, who was then the editor of Repertoire magazine, came up to me and said "I want you to meet a friend of mine." So he took me up this guy, we were introduced, and he said to me "Since we've been talking about it, what do you think of Svetlanov's Mahler?" I said, "It's crap." He said: "Please let me introduce you to the producer." He didn't look very happy...

Best to you all,

Dave H

Offline waderice

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 12:55:13 AM »
IMHO, Russian conductors have a long way to go to be effective interpreters of Mahler.  Gergiev is learning, but more experience should help.  Yuri Temirkanov's first and last performances as music director of the Baltimore Symphony were performing the M2.  The first I heard on radio and recorded it; the last I heard live.  Temirkanov also made a recording of M2 for Melodiya while the Soviet Union still existed.  It isn't a bad performance; rather rushed, but OK.  His tempi are slower and broader when performing it live.  Russians singing Mahler also have a long way to go to be effective Mahler interpreters.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 06:48:10 AM »
It was released about 15 years ago on Le Chant du Monde, if that is the same one, and it is almost entirely lousy (and badly recorded, and terribly played). The Ninth was fun, though, since he gets through the Rondo:Burleske in about 11 minutes. The big symphonies with voices (2, 3, 8) are just atrocious. Ditto the singing (in German). I met the producer in Cannes--it was very funny. My colleague (and now partner) Christophe Huss, who was then the editor of Repertoire magazine, came up to me and said "I want you to meet a friend of mine." So he took me up this guy, we were introduced, and he said to me "Since we've been talking about it, what do you think of Svetlanov's Mahler?" I said, "It's crap." He said: "Please let me introduce you to the producer." He didn't look very happy...

Best to you all,

Dave H
His second recording with het Residentie Orkest is much better. The RB is short under 11 min. as it was in this recording.

The playing and sound are very good. It's actually my top favorite among all the single disc versions of M9th.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 06:55:12 AM »
Yep; the Dutch one is better played and recorded. It's quite "cogent" as a reading of the score too. I guess this whole Svetlanov "thang" is coming back to me now.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk