Author Topic: Live 1989 Tennstedt M2  (Read 7310 times)

Offline Matthew

Live 1989 Tennstedt M2
« on: March 06, 2010, 06:17:44 PM »
(I hope it's ok to start a new thread on this.....)

I won't get into the debate about timings (in the other thread), but all I can say is that this performance just blew me away on first hearing last night.

Admittedly, it's slow in parts (especially the meditative moments in the first movement, with every last drop of emotion wrung out in the Tennstedt style), but there's an incredible tension throughout the whole performance, and some passages are actually surprisingly fast. It really is ALIVE. I have to admit a little bias, as I actually attended this concert in 1989 at the tender age of 16 ;) I remember feeling stunned and awed after the concert, but that was before I'd heard many Mahler recordings and performances, so I'm viewing it a bit more objectively now, 21 years later, after a good number of Resurrections (most recently also with the LPO at the RFH, conducted by Jurowski -- now that was a lot faster!).

To sum up, I couldn't live without this performance. Among the high points are the wonderfully hushed entry of the choir, and the final pages are truly among the most exultant I've ever heard -- the LPO choir sings as if their lives depend on every note. Jard van Nes and Yvonne Kenny are also superb, especially in the final duet. The sound is good, even on my eMusic download, with plenty of low organ at the end and powerful gong smashes at the big moments. Now I can't wait to hear the CD (just ordered it from HMV  ;D).

I'd love to hear your opinions, as this recording really got me excited.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Live 1989 Tennstedt M2
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 06:51:07 PM »
I'm glad to hear the positive report. I'm just a bit sore that they didn't issue the early 1980 (or was it '81?) M2 concert from RFH - the one that I went to!

Barry

Offline Matthew

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 04:33:56 PM »
I was a keen follower of Tennstedt's Mahler during the late 80s and early 90s, including a M3 in 1986 (a school trip!), a memorable M5 in 1988, and the 1990 M1 that's been released on BBC Legends (I've yet to hear that). The M5 was also broadcast by the BBC. I have an aging VHS copy (including introduction to the concert by Ken Russell) and I'm hoping the BBC will see fit to release it on DVD some time (the live M8 DVD was also a BBC recording -- the first digital broadcast, I believe). Tennstedt was always fascinating to watch, and had a kind of magnetism on the podium that inspired his players to give their utmost. Every concert was an event. The LPO site has some audio extracts of a couple of the players talking about working with Tennstedt:
http://shop.lpo.org.uk/shop/Recordings/detail.asp?6292,0,0,0,0

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 05:49:59 PM »

... even on my eMusic download

I don't see this on the emusic site.  Can you please provide a link?  Perhaps it is not available for download in the US yet? 
Scott

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 05:59:26 PM »

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 10:00:32 PM »
Sure, here's the link:

http://www.emusic.com/album/Yvonne-Kenny-Mahler-Symphony-No-2-Resurrection-MP3-Download/11838942.html

I hope you can get it in the US.

Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately, I get the following message: 

"We're sorry. This album is unavailable for download in your country (United States) at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

Hopefully this is just a matter of timing and it will be available in the coming weeks. 
Scott

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 12:03:38 AM »
Amazon.com says that it will be released on March 30th, so a little later than here in the UK. There are already some glowing reviews on Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahler-Symphony-Resurrection/dp/B00361DRBY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I've now listened to the CD, which is in even more vivid sound (although the eMusic download was pretty good too). It's just so perfectly paced, so that when you arrive at the alto/soprano duet (wonderfully sung) and the final pages, it really is overwhelming. I hope I'm not overdoing it here -- but believe me it's that good. I hope you can get hold of it soon!

Offline techniquest

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 02:51:20 PM »
I got this new release last week and agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments already cited by Matthew. This is Mahler 2 as it should be - it has majesty, it has anger, it has absolute beauty and it has total power. It is a reading full of emotion and understanding, played with sincerity and near perfection.
Anyone who likes this symphony really should have this recording in their collection.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 12:20:47 AM »
It's not too expensive either, so I'll definitely take the plunge at some point. Is there a sufficient amount of organ at the end?

Barry

Offline techniquest

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 08:38:04 AM »
Barry - you certainly won't be disappointed with the organ at the end.  :)

Offline Matthew

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 09:21:50 AM »
I agree, for once the organ has excellent bass presence at the end.

Offline Steele

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 02:25:46 AM »
Hey Matthew,

Many thanks for the heads up on this release.  The CDs arrived today and I have only gotten through the performance once here in my office, but your comments are spot on - this is indeed a great M2.  The sound is very good, particularly given that this is the recording of a single performance that's been sitting around in some vault for the past 21 years.   Tempos are slow at times (revealing additional details of the score which only add to the poigency of the performance), but never get bogged down -Tennstedt provides the necessary momentum as required to always propel things forward, often leading to crescendos that are both dramatic and thrilling.  You do get a sense that this was a special occasion and that everyone was playing/singing their hearts out for the Cionductor Laureatte.  It's got emotion, grandeur, nobility, gravitas and a finale - the key to any M2 performance - that achieves some serious lift-off.  Has a very Bernstein-like character to it - which is a very good thing.  Highly recommended.

Steele

Offline bluesbreaker

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 04:37:18 AM »
I want this CD in my player, right now!
 ;)

Kidding aside, I think we are oversaturated with cool and objective recordings. MAybe I have not heard enough, but AFAIK we haven't had many gut-wrentching performances since Tennstedt.
Under The Dark Side Of The Glass Moon

Offline Matthew

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 11:01:29 AM »
Thanks for your comments Steele. I absolutely agree with you about the lift-off at the end -- I haven't felt this moved by M2 for a long while. Whereas many performances sound merely impressive, this one has tremendous cumulative power and a truly ecstatic feel at the end "a la Bernstein". Just thrilling....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk