Author Topic: Saraste/Oslo Phil. M6 is REALLY good!  (Read 7597 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Saraste/Oslo Phil. M6 is REALLY good!
« on: January 29, 2011, 04:49:29 AM »
Not much to tell here, as all four movements are really quite good. I like it that the first movement is a tad longer than usual (24 minutes), while the two inner movements really flow along (12:04 and 13:34). Saraste takes his time during the pastoral interludes in the first movement, which is just fine given that the cowbells are truly audible. Nice cowbells! The finale is excellent, with an incredible surge at the final, allegro "charge" passage. Full steam ahead! Great stuff. The first hammer stroke is a tad underwhelming, but the second one is a doozy! (doubled with the optional tam-tam and cymbals). All the noisy music surrounding the hammer strokes is superbly done. The final A-minor outburst at the very end of the symphony is REALLY explosive!

Sound-wise, I don't think it's quite as good as the Jansons/Olso M7. It sounds as though the stage and/or hall might be a tad small for such a huge and loud symphony. Still, there's absolutely no problems in hearing lots of detail, and there's sufficient space or "air" around the orchestra itself. Seriously, this is easily as good as ANY Mahler 6 in my collection, and truly better than some of them!

Offline Russ Smiley

Re: Saraste/Oslo Phil. M6 is REALLY good!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 02:16:57 PM »
An Andante at 13:34 appears to be quite fast, but your description makes me hopeful.
I received a second 'delayed delivery' notice yesterday.
Thanks, Barry.
Russ Smiley

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 06:20:49 PM »
"An Andante at 13:34 appears to be quite fast".

It doesn't sound or feel fast to me at all. I've been arguing for years that most everybody takes this movement too slow for its Andante Moderato marking. Also, the word "langsam" isn't mentioned even once in the score (by contrast, the famous Adagietto has "langsam" written all over the place).

If one thinks about it, so much of the melody in this movement is simply made up to two ascending notes, followed by the same two notes descending; resolving on to a fifth note (or third note, if you're keeping track of actual pitches). An Adagio tempo is overkill for such a simple melodic pattern. The harmonies aren't fascinating enough to sustain an ultra-slow tempo either (not that you're asking for one). The bottom line is that it doesn't sound hurried to me at all.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 11:23:54 PM »
Sound-wise, I don't think it's quite as good as the Jansons/Olso M7. It sounds as though the stage and/or hall might be a tad small for such a huge and loud symphony. Still, there's absolutely no problems in hearing lots of detail, and there's sufficient space or "air" around the orchestra itself. Seriously, this is easily as good as ANY Mahler 6 in my collection, and truly better than some of them!
Barry,

Thanks for your heads-up report.

I am surprised your less than enthusiastic comment on the sound quality though.

Perhaps you must turn the volume way up??

John,

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 10:52:38 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly with Barry about this one--it's really good.  As far as the sonics, I too picked up on what I think Barry is talking about.  To me, it seems as though there is not as much of a stereo spread as say the Sanderling, but honestly the hall has some nice characteristics and I like it.
About the Andante, I too found myself taken to it, even on first hearing.  I prefer the Andante played for all its emotional worth but honestly, this approach really makes quite an impact of its own.  Saraste lets the music speak for itself, and that really shows through.
Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 06:48:01 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly with Barry about this one--it's really good.  As far as the sonics, I too picked up on what I think Barry is talking about.  To me, it seems as though there is not as much of a stereo spread as say the Sanderling, but honestly the hall has some nice characteristics and I like it.
About the Andante, I too found myself taken to it, even on first hearing.  I prefer the Andante played for all its emotional worth but honestly, this approach really makes quite an impact of its own.  Saraste lets the music speak for itself, and that really shows through.
Michael,

What about the dynamic range? Any sonic distortions in loud passages? Is the stereo image consistent throughout?

Thanks.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 04:02:09 AM »
The sound examples on iTunes sound great. Appears to be another really good M6, right after the Wigglesworth recording, which, however much I love it, admittedly, had weak cowbells.

--Todd

Offline Michael

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 07:02:56 PM »
Hi John,

The dynamic range is good, and the stereo image is consistent throughout.  Also, there is no distortion, even in the loudest of passages.
Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 07:18:28 PM »
Hi John,

The dynamic range is good, and the stereo image is consistent throughout.  Also, there is no distortion, even in the loudest of passages.
Good! That's what I am looking for.

Thanks.

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 01:18:36 AM »
... Seriously, this is easily as good as ANY Mahler 6 in my collection, and truly better than some of them!

I received my copy from Presto in the mail today.  Having been disappointed somewhat by the M9 on Profil, I had lowered my expectations.  However, there was no need.  As Barry indicted, this is a very fine performance.  It may not be quite as visceral as some, it is in no way tame and does not 'wear out its welcome' with persistent excess.  I found it extremely  detailed, coherent, engaging, and convincing.  I had feared by the timing that the Andante might be too hasty, but as Barry wrote, that is not the case at all.  The high flute entrance in the Andante is tastefully gracious.  The first movement cowbells are excellent, the last movement's are equally so.  The first hammer had a dull core, the second was augmented and ruinous, the third may be just ambiguous enough to satisfy either preference.  It was hard to believe this was live performance recording; only in a couple of the quietest moments did I catch a distant cough.  No question, this is a keeper to be revisited with pleasure.
Russ Smiley

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 02:56:13 AM »
Russ Smiley

Offline Russ Smiley

Russ Smiley

Offline John Kim

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 04:26:31 PM »
I have been listening to M6th recording by Milwaukee S.O. conducted by Delfs.

This is really an excellent M6th. Fast but powerful with flexible tempos (e.g., the Alma theme in I. is treated in a tempo that's different than the main march tempo). The playing is fantastic (those brass in the Finale! It has the best hammer blows (three) I've ever heard). Despite the swift tempo, Delf's reading is spot on and never boring.

I'd put it ahead of Wigglesworth (MSO), another recent recording by a lesser known orchestra.

John,
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 05:53:16 PM by John Kim »

Offline Michael

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 08:53:59 PM »
I too like the Delfs: great playing, that "live" sound, and three crushing hammer blows.  :)
Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk