Author Topic: has anyone tried the Concertgebouw/Mahler dvd box yet?  (Read 7655 times)

Offline barry guerrero

has anyone tried the Concertgebouw/Mahler dvd box yet?
« on: January 18, 2013, 04:56:06 PM »
Just curious.

Offline waderice

Re: has anyone tried the Concertgebouw/Mahler dvd box yet?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 01:30:17 AM »
Barry, here is one review of the set.  As to what extent this reviewer's knowledge of Mahler is, that may be another story.  No, I haven't bought the set.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mahler-Symphonies-1-10-Totenfeier-Das-Lied-Von-Der-Erde-Blu-ray/61165/#Review

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 02:55:57 AM »
Thank you. It's pretty much what  I would expect. I wish I could 'swing' the cost for one of these babies.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 04:53:59 AM »
I've watched 3-7 on Blu-Ray. Have not made it to the others.

From those that I've watched Gatti's 5th was a surprise. I wasn't sure what to expect but, I really liked what I got. Nothing ground breaking, just a good understanding of the symphony and a great performance. The Boulez 7th was also a bit of a surprise. He gives an almost affirming reading. Not the icy Cleveland.

Ivan Fischer in the 4th is excellent. The 3rd, I'm sure, is the concert recording that is also available on SACD. Maazel's 6th is OK. Great playing, and something better than his Vienna 6th. It's heavy and powerful.

The visuals are top notch and the direction did not detract from the performance. The audio is good over all. I found the 4th and 7th to have better sound than the others.

One thing of note. The Concertgebouw has either a high turnover rate, or a very large pool of players. I've seen a handful of different principle players. Especially in the brass. Different sectional players through out. That was something that caught my eye.

It's too bad they didn't do this for the Leipzig Mahler Fest. That would have been a nice addition.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 05:38:37 AM »
When you get to it, I'd like to know what you think of the Jansons M8. I have a suspicion that it's a tad under-whelming.  I'm sure the 'farwell trilogy' is just fine.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 03:06:47 PM »
When you get to it, I'd like to know what you think of the Jansons M8. I have a suspicion that it's a tad under-whelming.  I'm sure the 'farwell trilogy' is just fine.

No problem, Barry.

On a different classical music forum a large blind comparison of Mahler 1 was done. I think they used 20-25 different recordings.The number one, over all winner, was Jansons M1 with RCO. When I heard this recording I thought it was under-whelming too. It's odd what happens when you take away all the common identifiers and only have to deal with the music.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 05:21:29 PM »
True, but Janson's work has been a bit up-and-down in recent years, and I'm sure that that has to do with the serious health issues he's been having.

Offline perotin

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 05:58:45 PM »
On a different classical music forum a large blind comparison of Mahler 1 was done. I think they used 20-25 different recordings.The number one, over all winner, was Jansons M1 with RCO.
Vehemence, can you provide a link to that forum, please?

EDIT:
i've just found it:
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,20853.0.html
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:51:31 PM by audentity »

Offline singingfriar

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 11:46:49 PM »
I find Janson's M1 really outstanding and among my favorite. His 2nd, however, is completely forgettable and frustrating.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 03:59:22 AM »

Just finished this up. A few things

Part I. sounded very forced to me. I wonder if Jansons didn't quite know what he wanted to do with it. The choirs were smaller in size over all. There seemed to be a large number in children's choir. The balances were excellent, it just never felt like it was going anywhere. I was not impressed with the female soloists in this part.

Part II. was much better. It came across as a much more natural musical experience. The soloists worked much better too. Actually everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves more. Jansons included. The ending lacked organ and tam-tam. I wanted my sub-woofer to erupt, it never did.

Technically this was very well done. To my ears the smaller choir made a huge difference. All of the different lines came through and the diction was great. I must call special attention to the children; they looked as if they were having a blast. It was also nice to see the wicked trombone mute changes in the first part.  I also think the last chair trumpet player was nodding off at one point. They catch him waking up!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 06:44:29 PM »
Funny that you describe the T-bone mute changes as "wicked", as a very common brand of brass mutes - particular for T-bones - is made by Dennis Wick, who was a former principal trombone of the L.S.O.

Anyway, thanks for the detailed review.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »
Funny that you describe the T-bone mute changes as "wicked", as a very common brand of brass mutes - particular for T-bones - is made by Dennis Wick, who was a former principal trombone of the L.S.O.

Anyway, thanks for the detailed review.
I still have my Wick adjustable cup mute for trumpet. I tried out some of his mouthpieces, not really fan of those. But yes, his mutes are wonderful.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk