General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Vanska/MO/BIS M3rd SACD is pricey!

(1/3) > >>

John Kim:
This is really bad. They are asking for a price of two discs whereas most releases nowadays that comprise of two CDs are sold for the price of one.

Who'd pay $41 for the set?

John

John Kim:
I bet BIS wants us to buy a box set of the whole cycle (when it becomes available later) instead of this release.

John

barryguerrero:
That's exactly what I was thinking.

ChrisH:
Perhaps they are trying to drive customers away from discs, or treating the discs as a premium item.  This is what's been happening with 4K Blu-ray. Suddenly the prices have jumped $10+, coupled with low inventory. They want everyone streaming. At least if I buy a download from Presto, or eclassical, I own the files DRM free.

I'd think the profit margin is much higher on digital, than on a physical product. The CD quality download is $18.75 and $25.00 for hi-res. It'll be even cheaper than that on eclassical when it releases. Purchasing discs is something I only do when there is no digital available.

Roland Flessner:
I've heard Vänskä's M5, M6, and M7, and based on those I don't think he has a real feel for Mahler. I hate to say that because BIS is just about the only label making studio recordings of American orchestras these days.

Labels probably derive more revenue from downloads than from physical CDs. Streaming, probably not, although Idagio pays by the second rather than by the track and claims to be fairer to musicians and labels.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version