Author Topic: The Maazel (Mahler) stocks  (Read 5448 times)

michaelw

The Maazel (Mahler) stocks
« on: July 17, 2007, 08:05:47 PM »
Hallo,

Two weeks ago they offered the Maazel box set for 27 Euro at amazon.de. I am not really a fan of Maazel, but I admit that I was tempted in view of this offer.
After some checking (and finding bad to very bad critics) I saved the money. Now it's at 31.89 (jpc 34.99). What do you recommend? If it drops below 28 Euro again: to buy or not to buy? Are there at least three or four really good recordings in the set?

I am sure that some of you have a clear and helpful opinion.

Thanks

Michael

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: The Maazel (Mahler) stocks
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 08:17:57 PM »
Michael, I just bought this not too long ago, but have not gone through the whole box.  That said, I really do like his M3, M4, M6 and M8.

If you like slow, detailed, philosophical performances (except his M6, which is faster) than you will like Maazel.  I like him for these very reasons.  His M8 is my top M8, but I stand alone here!  His M3 is in my top 5 for M3's.

Most people will advise you not to get this, but I feel Maazel is a unique Mahler interpeter. Not for someone new in Mahler, but a good choice if you want to head off the beaten path.

--Leo

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 10:29:06 PM »
Hallo, Michael--

You might try haunting eBay for this box set. It shows up fairly regularly and is listed presently, with bidding at $20.50 and two days to go.

There is an earlier issue of the set preferred by some, which includes a booklet. It was part of the VPO's 150th anniversary celebration and also appears on eBay from time to time--but usually commands a higher price.

/ & '

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 11:13:44 PM »
Hallo, Michael--

You might try haunting eBay for this box set. It shows up fairly regularly and is listed presently, with bidding at $20.50 and two days to go.

There is an earlier issue of the set preferred by some, which includes a booklet. It was part of the VPO's 150th anniversary celebration and also appears on eBay from time to time--but usually commands a higher price.

/ & '

This earlier issue is the one I have, and the booklet is simply awesome.

--Leo

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 12:29:10 AM »
In this set I like M1, M4, and to a lesser degree, M6. The M7 and M9 are terrible; the M9th might be the worst I've ever heard - no structure, bad tempo shifts and others. I have not heard the M8th though. Maazel's later cycle with BRSO is MUCH better.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 07:31:55 AM »
What Leo says is pretty accurate. You can't have an allergy to slow tempi, like I do. However, there is some gorgeous sounding playing sprinkled about. While I agree with John's opinion that Maazel's M7 is poor from an interpretive standpoint, some of the playing is truly beautiful.

Maazel's 8th is not the worst one on the planet. While much of it is greatly under tempo, it has some really good things going for it: the women vocal soloists are all very good; the tenor - Richard Leech - is outstanding; and there are a few humungous tam-tam smashes at the close of the symphony. Personally, I think it has a lot more humanity to it than the hugely over-rated Solti M8.

Maazel's M3 is quite a crawl. But again, there's some very beautiful playing here and there. Personally, I think that the best "below tempo" Mahler cycle is the Segerstam on Chandos.

Barry

michaelw

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 09:26:14 PM »
Thank you very much for your helpful comments. I wasn’t aware that Maazel stands for slow tempi, but my taste regarding tempi often seems to depend on my personal shape. So at the next occasion I will give it a try – and beautiful playing as reported by Barry can be very nice even if the whole concept isn’t convincing.
Unfortunately the ebay option is not possible here, since the shipping costs would make it quite expensive.
John, what is this BSRO cycle about? Is it official? Seems to be totally out of print and access.

Michael

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 10:35:13 PM »
Since you are asking for opinions, I'll provide mine on Maazel's cycle:

YUCK!  Avoid it at all costs.  

BTW, I own it and refuse to get rid of it -- so what does that say about me?   :)

Seriously, though, I do not mean to offend anyone that likes Maazel's Mahler.  However, it is just not for me.  I can contrast him to Segerstam, who I quite like.  Segerstam's overall timings look very slow.  However, he has flexible tempos, stresses dynamics, and plays up the big/dramatic moments.  To me, Maazel is just slow and inflexible.  I can't even listen to the finale of his M3. 

Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 03:30:52 AM »
Maazel's cycle (from 2000 or 2001?) with BRSO was released on pirate label from Japan. The playing is far more idiomatic, smooth, and powerful than VPO and his reading has matured enough to make the new recordings worth listening to. I've heard all of them and liked most of them, especially the M9th and M2nd. I think you can order them individually on internet.

John,

Offline sbugala

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 03:46:20 PM »
I had some issues with the sound in this set.  Some of it sounds really glassy and harsh.  I do like his M5, which on a budget issue has tracking throughout, which is a contrast to most recordings.  And when I've heard his M4, I've liked it.  With a boat load of other sets out there, I think this one could be passed by without regret. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk