Author Topic: On the Nazis' treatment of Mahler  (Read 6758 times)

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
On the Nazis' treatment of Mahler
« on: July 19, 2007, 05:59:08 PM »
A recently published book has just come my way, Gustav Mahler: New Insights into His Life, Times and Work, by Alfred Mathis-Rosenzweig; translation, annotation and commentary by Jeremy Barham. It is a work begun in 1933 but unfinished at the time of the author's death in 1948; the typescript was presumed lost until 1997.

The author points out, early in the work, that the Nazis made a special case of Mahler. That is, it was not enough for them merely to ban his music and remove from print all references to him. "The Nazis," he writes, "were apparently clear from the outset that they would not be able to demolish the continuing force of Gustav Mahler's memory and his music through mere bureaucratic means. Therefore he was immediately put on the list of 'degenerate' composers, and books were written against him that attempted to prove his guilt in the adulteration and degeneration of the values of German musical culture." He goes on to say it would have made no difference if Mahler had not been of Jewish descent "because his music reflects with overwhelming power and intensity the sorrows of the world and the tragedy of his own life's struggle" [italics in original].

I find this an interesting observation that, while perhaps made elsewhere also, is worth our knowing.

. & '

Ivor

Re: On the Nazis' treatment of Mahler
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 09:03:46 PM »
  Why does that bit in italics remind me of The  Ring Cycle, and Schubert?

They really were an object=lesson in what's wrong with control-freakery.

The book sounds interesting.

Offline Jot N. Tittle

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 09:28:08 PM »
Why does that bit in italics remind me of The  Ring Cycle, and Schubert?

Good point, Ivor. Before I encountered Mahler, I was held in awe by Schubert's Quintet in C, especially the slow second movement (not that I'm not still in awe of it). "You can play that at my funeral," I cheerily announced.

I'm now more inclined to want to hear a bit of Mahler from the other side, either the third movement of the Fourth, or the last of DLvdE. That would probably clear the chapel.

. & '

Offline sbugala

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 03:41:51 AM »
When I think about the Nazi's banning Mahler's music, I think about their absolute ignorance.  They lauded themselves as defenders of culture.  Yet, if I'm correct, they screwed up the label for Rodin's bust of Mahler, saying it was a bust of Mozart instead.  So a composer they lauded was actually one they detested, yet they didn't even know it.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 06:18:39 AM »
Ironically, Mahler was Hitler's favorite conductor of Wagner's operatic works during his years in Vienna. As the saying goes, if only he had sold more paintings instead.

Offline Jot N. Tittle

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 05:44:28 PM »
When I think about the Nazi's banning Mahler's music, I think about their absolute ignorance.  They lauded themselves as defenders of culture.

Ain't it always the case with guardians of the culture? Maybe the ignorance is not always absolute, but it is usually sufficient.

. & '

Offline Jot N. Tittle

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 05:47:16 PM »
Ironically, Mahler was Hitler's favorite conductor of Wagner's operatic works during his years in Vienna. As the saying goes, if only he had sold more paintings instead.

Maybe not. I prefer Mel Brooks's explanation: Hitler was never hugged when he was a child. It's always the parents' fault!

. & '

Ivor

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 08:43:47 PM »
  There are 50 pages on Hitler's childhood in For Your Own Good. The Roots of Violence in Child-Rearing, by the Swiss psychoanalyst Alice Miller, (1980 in German; 1983 in English.)

She says.

"When people who have been beaten or spanked as children attempt to play down the consequences by setting themselves up as examples, even claiming it was good for them, they are inevitably contributing to the continuation of cruelty in the world by this refusal to take their childhood tragedies seriously. Taking over this attitude, their children, pupils and students will, in turn, beat their own children, citing their parents, teachers and professors as authorities."

Ivor

Offline Jot N. Tittle

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 09:20:29 PM »
My saying "It's always the parents' fault!" was only partly sarcastic. I take the Mel Brooks line quite seriously and find a lot of truth in Alice Miller's statement.

I wonder whether Norman Mailer's latest novel, The Castle in the Forest, which is supposed to deal with young Adolph, takes up this matter. Have it but haven't read it yet.

. & '

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk