Author Topic: Barenboim/Stattskapelle Berlin/Cmajor M9th DVD  (Read 6401 times)

Offline John Kim

Barenboim/Stattskapelle Berlin/Cmajor M9th DVD
« on: January 10, 2011, 06:19:42 PM »
http://www.cmajor-entertainment.com/catalogue/show/id/2047

Where and how do I get this DVD??   ???

John,

Offline John Kim

Offline John Kim

Re: Barenboim/Stattskapelle Berlin/Cmajor M9th DVD
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 03:37:19 AM »
I think I have heard a recording of this concert and I must say I liked it better than CD version that the same Barenboim/Sttatskapelle Berlin recorded two years earlier. The tempo was quite swift, faster than he was on the CD, but the instrumental lines such as horn and tam tam came forward with more clarity.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 04:17:56 AM »
I've just watched Barenboim/Staattskapelle Berlin/M9th DVD.

Absolutely fantastic!

The best played and realized Mahler Ninth I've ever heard, it's also a M9th played as abstract music a la Bach.

Every detail and instrument are audible but Barenboim never loses the sight of the forest; this is one of the most cogent readings I know.

Tempos are on a fast side, but nothing sounds rushed at all.

The DVD has a bonus in which Barenboim and Boulez discuss about Mahler and his music. It also shows fragments form rehearsals that both conductors went through for the 2010 Mahler Project.

Lots of great stuff and great music making.

Highest recommendation.

John,

Offline sbugala

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 02:52:20 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation, John!

I have a gift certificate that's been burning a hole in my pocket, and I've been debating whether to get this...or something different like the long-awaited and praised Levine/Chicago RCA Brahms cycle.  However, I think Mahler wins!

Steven

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 05:21:40 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation, John!

I have a gift certificate that's been burning a hole in my pocket, and I've been debating whether to get this...or something different like the long-awaited and praised Levine/Chicago RCA Brahms cycle.  However, I think Mahler wins!

Steven
Steven,

Believe me, it's that good! ;)

I know there are a lot out there who love Barenboim's live CD recording of the symphony, but this one is even better with markedly better playing and sonics.

The tempos are faster than the CD, however. But that didn't bother me at all.

John,

Offline sbugala

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 06:08:02 AM »
I received mine today, although I've only had the chance to hear certain parts. It's good, and I'm enjoying it. The first movement tempos feel really fast, and it might be pushing it. I don't mind that all that much. However, where are the bells after the mega crash in the first movement? It almost sounds like Barenboim removed them. The cameras don't look at them once.

Still, pretty nice performance!

Steve

Offline sbugala

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 01:44:27 PM »
I heard the bells finally. I just had to turn things up. When I listen at night, I have keep the volume low enough so I don't wake up my kids.  I don't know the proper name, but it sounds like the bells are "plate like."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 03:29:53 PM by sbugala »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »
I heard the bells finally. I just had to turn things up. When I listen at night, I have keep the volume low enough so I don't wake up my kids.  I don't know the proper name, but it sounds like the bells are "plate like."

Yes, it sounds like a plate.

But I like the performance a lot. Barenboim makes lots of details audible and his approach reminds me of Bach or Beethoven.

Why not?

John,

Offline sbugala

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 03:32:02 AM »
I'd like to see Barenboim tackle some more the the Mahler symphonies. However, the two DVDs I'd really like to see are the Jansons M3 RCOA account you can see on Youtube (and I assume will be on SACD later this month), and Eschenbach's M9 with Orchestre de Paris.

Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk