Author Topic: OT: Mahler auf der Couch German DVD. Will it play on a laptop?  (Read 5101 times)

Offline Toblacher

OT: Mahler auf der Couch German DVD. Will it play on a laptop?
« on: December 09, 2012, 08:57:50 PM »
I'm willing to buy the the German language DVD of this even though I won't be able understand what is being said.  The Amazon offer says it won't play on an USA DVD player, but will I be able to play it on my laptop?

Offline Roffe

Re: OT: Mahler auf der Couch German DVD. Will it play on a laptop?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 02:19:16 AM »
It will, most likely, be possible to play it; my laptop (Toshiba) asks for permission to change the media player's country code, when I insert a DVD with a different country code than the pre-installed.

Roffe

Offline brunumb

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:12:22 PM »
Hi Toblacher.
As Roffe said, you should be able to play it on your computer DVD player.  It will prompt you to change the region code, but be warned that this can only be done about five times and then it is locked into the last region code used.

An alternative is to hack your regular DVD player and make it region free.  It is a simple procedure and instructions are available on the internet for most models.  Try the following:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:30:52 AM »
Another computer-based alternative is to get a decrypting software.  It's been quite a while since I've looked into such matters, but memory tells me that AnyDVD and DVDdecryptor were two options. 
Scott

Offline Penny

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 09:20:58 PM »
The version I recently bought has got English subtitles, which is just as well, as my German is sketchy to say the least!  It's a good film - I enjoyed it.   :)

(I haven't posted to this forum before btw.  My name's Penny and I live in Worcester UK.  I've been a Mahler addict for about 20 years, and was a member of the Mahler discussion forum about 10 years ago.)

Offline Roffe

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 01:26:31 PM »
Welcome to the board, Penny.

Roffe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk