Author Topic: Does it make any sense that J. Nott has 2 "DLvdE" CD's coming out?  (Read 4363 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Aside from the Kauffman/Vienna Phil./Sony "DLvdE", Jonathan Nott also has a more 'traditional' one coming from Bamberg (Tudor)

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/gustav-mahler-das-lied-von-der-erde/hnum/6100152

Offline James Meckley

Re: Does it make any sense that J. Nott has 2 "DLvdE" CD's coming out?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 04:35:54 PM »
An explanation for the two near-simultaneous DLvdE releases from Jonathan Nott:

1) The Tudor release was a long-planned recording, part of his complete cycle on that label. It's the "official" Nott DLvdE.

2) The Sony release was a Sony/Kaufmann project designed to showcase Kaufmann's tour-de-force vocal casting. Daniele Gatti was booked to conduct. When Gatti had to withdraw due to a shoulder injury, Nott was available and brought in as a last-minute substitute, not only for the recording but for the several surrounding concerts presented in Vienna, Paris, etc..

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 07:47:37 PM »
Interesting. I wonder how they liked Nott over that series of concerts (?).

It may be something of a gimmick that Kaufmann is singing the entire "DLvdE", but it's sure bound to keep a 'buzz' going for Mahler. That'll be a good thing before something stupid happens, like Trump  and the CIA decide to ban Mahler (or some such thing). There's actually some kind of 'think tank' for the promotion of popular culture that's located somewhere in L.A. They've certainly succeeded.

Since Nott did not record a 10th symphony Adagio, I wonder if he might record a complete 10th sometime.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 07:58:12 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 03:39:39 AM »
Why in the world would you bring Trump into this? Has he done anything to indicate a ban on any music? If anything stupid happens it's going to come from the left - they'll object to Das Lied being sung by non-Asians. When anglos sing it, it must be in Yellowface. Stupid yes, but that's what happening around the world. Asians pissed that anglos are singing Madam Butterfly made up to look Asian. And people, the eternally offended leftists, get upset. Please, let's leave Trump completely out of any discussions...

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 05:57:33 AM »
I suppose your right. But I am generally annoyed, and am seriously concerned about a pseudo fascist take over.

Offline BeethovensQuill

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »
I'm disappointed that Nott decided to use a baritone, just out of my own personal preference and Mahler said so as well that alto is the preferred unless one is not available.  I just feel those sections are perfectly suited to fit a female voice, for me a male singer just doesn't work.  I have really loved the Nott cycle but i doubt i'll pick this recording up.  Although i do hope that he records a complete 10th, as it's the Mahler symphony i'm currently obsessed with.

Everyone will have their pwn preference thought as regards alto/baritone.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 07:07:28 PM »
With Nott's detailed attention to phrasing, dynamics and articulations, I think he could do a really good Mahler 10, regardless of performing version. Then again, it would be tough to beat that new T. Dausgard/Seattle S.O. one. That's why I'm hoping he would try one of the other versions.

Offline SteelyTom

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 10:00:50 PM »
Anyone with a review of Nott's Tudor recording with Gadd and Sacca?  What little response I've found has been all over the lot, but perhaps that's to be expected with this piece and with vocal recordings in general. 

I don't have a tenor/baritone recording of the work, so perhaps that's enough of an excuse to order the new one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk