Author Topic: brief report on Stenz M2  (Read 4956 times)

Offline barry guerrero

brief report on Stenz M2
« on: August 02, 2011, 07:09:25 PM »
It's a nice performance, but probably not quite as distinctive as his recent "DKW" or M4 recordings. Yes, Stenz does the descending run at the end of the first movement on the slow side, a bit like Rattle. He also sits on the gradual percussion build-up, just before the fast part of the 5th movement's long march section, for a very long time. He makes it incredibly loud as well. At the end of the symphony, Stenz does the bell part as written, and the alternating salvos between the three bell pitches, and the upper and low pitched tam-tams, is all pretty audible. The organ is decent but not huge sounding. Good chorus. The mezzo is decent but not great either. I like the slight accellerando that Stenz does at "Ich bin von Gott and will wieder zu Gott - der liebe Gott", in 'Urlicht'. Then he suddenly pull back after "liebe Gott". That was a nice touch. The second movement and scherzo are both quicker than they are on the Jurowski. The timings are all pretty normal.

It's hard to evaluate because there's been so many good recordings of the "Resurrection" in recent times. I liked it, but probably no more than I. Fischer, P. Jarvi or Jurowski. I would probably put it just slightly ahead of Rattle/BPO.

Offline John Kim

Re: brief report on Stenz M2
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 05:43:06 AM »
Barry,

Your report is most disappointing :-[.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:19:25 AM »
You might like it - hard to say. What are looking for in M2 that you haven't already heard?

B.

Offline brunumb

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 08:58:20 AM »
David Hurwitz doesn't like it, giving it 5/7 at ClassicsToday.

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=13470

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 01:19:53 AM »
David is a very good friend of mine. But I do notice that when he doesn't seem to care for a particular performance, he seems to downgrade the sound quality as well. Strange, because I certainly don't feel that 'sound' is an issue with this particular recording.

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 10:07:57 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk