Author Topic: Bernstein's Mahler  (Read 5642 times)

Offline Ben

Bernstein's Mahler
« on: March 05, 2007, 03:01:40 AM »
There are obviously many recordings and videos of Bernstein conducting Mahler.  I have many of these, including the DVD set, which I enjoy very much.  My question: does anyone know if any of Bernstein's last Mahler cycle on DG, with the NYPO, RCOA, and VPO, were captured on video?  Perhaps there are 'unofficial' videos or maybe some 'official' videos that are just sitting on Universal's shelf?  I would love to see some of these, if they do exist.  I know Lenny comes in for quite a bit of criticism regarding this last cycle, but I find almost all of them to be amazing documents.  I find MTT to be much more interventionist than Bernstein.  It just never sounded wrong or out of place when Bernstein interpreted.  I can't say the same for MTT.  That being said, I do enjoy many of the MTT recordings.  I just find it interesting that people will criticize the Bernstein recordings for being too interventionist, but be just fine with MTT's work.

I would've given my left arm to have been able to be at some of those last Bernstein concerts.  I'm sure they sold out in a flash.  Any members here that were able to see any of Bernstein's last Mahler cycle?

Ben

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Bernstein's Mahler
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 05:47:26 AM »
Hi Ben,

I was at an S.F. performance of M5 with Bernstein/VPO, which I thought was quite a bit more exciting than than the performance DG ending up using from Frankfurt. There were some mistakes, though. I also saw Bernstein/VPO do M6 at Carnegie Hall. My friend, David Hurwitz, saw the N.Y.P.O. performances of M2, M3, and M7. Needless to say, he thought that they were quite great.

To the best of my knowledge, none of those performances were video taped. But who knows? As you probably know, Bernstein was tentatively scheduled to do M8 in Amsterdam. That would have been quite something, I'm sure.

Barry

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 06:27:27 PM »
As you probably know, Bernstein was tentatively scheduled to do M8 in Amsterdam. That would have been quite something, I'm sure.

Barry

Are you saying that the M8 was to be done with the RCOA?  Oh my, we really did miss something then!
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 08:23:46 PM »
That's not what I heard. I heard Bernstein was going to record it with NYPO.

John,

Offline Ben

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 08:52:47 PM »
That's not what I heard. I heard Bernstein was going to record it with NYPO.

John,

Yes, I had read it was going to be a NYPO M8 as well.  I'm sure that would've been a performance for the ages.

Ben

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 06:34:17 AM »
New York?  Amsterdam? I'd take either one!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk