Author Topic: Klemperer's EMI M9 on the "GROTC" reissue series  (Read 4450 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Klemperer's EMI M9 on the "GROTC" reissue series
« on: March 20, 2007, 04:15:52 AM »
Hi folks,

I picked up the "Great Recordings Of The Century" remastering of Klemperer's M9. Predictably, the sound is very good albeit cut a rather high level. I've always liked this performance as a secondary view of the work. The first movement is powerful and craggy. The middle movements are a tad slow, but are also very craggy and clear sounding. The last movement is surprisingly songful, without also making the creepy, quiet, almost "zen-like" moments sounding insignificant. It reminds me a bit of Giulini's CSO M9. It also comes with a decent "Tod und Verklaerung", as well as "Metamorphosen" - a work I've never really warmed up to. Anyway, FYI.

Barry

Offline John Kim

Re: Klemperer's EMI M9 on the "GROTC" reissue series
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
I too admire Klemperer's unique but rather heavy treatment of Mahler's last completed symphony. But to my ears the performance is almost ruined by not-so-great playing of the Philharmonia Orch. Listen to the first movt. and you'll find out how many times the brass make mistakes, or how insecure the strings sound. I wish he had recorded the piece earlier in his career...

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 08:14:03 AM »
Yeah, you're right. But the Philharmonia had so much more heft and character in those days. Or, maybe they were simply recorded better back then. I was listening to the Dohnanyi/Cleveland M9 tonight, which I really like. The playing is phenomenal.

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 03:52:41 PM »
Dohnanyi/CVLO/Decca:

Agreed. Probably the best played M9th ever, on a par with Ozawa/BSO/Philips.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk