Author Topic: incredible Bruckner 6 w/ Andris Nelsons/VPO in Berkeley  (Read 5975 times)

Offline barry guerrero

incredible Bruckner 6 w/ Andris Nelsons/VPO in Berkeley
« on: March 10, 2014, 05:39:16 AM »
The 'I'm sick' bug continues. Today, yesterday's conductor of the Vienna Phil. (for Brahms), Andris Nelsons, stepped in for the allegedly ailing Franz Welser-Most. Let me tell you, this Bruckner 6 was among the very greatest performances I've ever seen of ANY work. Period. It was easily as great as when I saw Karajan do Bruckner 5 with the VPO in 1981 at the Musikverein. Yes, it was THAT good! Allow me to assure you, the Boston Symphony is in very good hands with this Nelsons character. Also, trust me, there's a Vienna New Year's Concert in his future as well (based on the quality of his conducting of the Viennese encore pieces). The crowd went nuts today. So did I.

One hour later: well, I just read that Nelsons is going to take over Abbado's duties with the Lucerne Summer Festival. Interesting, eh?

And let put this into perspective: Berkeley is probably THE least likely to like Bruckner town on the entire planet. Bruckner sales at The M.O. are next to nothing. Yet, the entire Berkeley audience - usually noisy as hell - were completely silent throughout the Adagio and other quiet moments. I was blown away.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:57:29 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline BeethovensQuill

Re: incredible Bruckner 6 w/ Andris Nelsons/VPO in Berkeley
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 09:29:11 AM »
Sounds excellent, ive really enjoyed quite a few of Nelsons recordings of russian music, Tchaikovsky 5 and Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms and his Shostakovich 7.  Would be great to get hear some Bruckner recordings at some point.

Offline waderice

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 11:37:16 AM »
Well, if Nelsons makes it to Philadelphia in the not-too-distant future, I'll have to be at the Kimmel Center.  8)

Wade

Offline akiralx

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 03:41:06 AM »
I mean to get Nelsons' recording of Tchaik 5.  His Dvorak 9 is wonderful.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 05:55:54 AM »
"His Dvorak 9 is wonderful"

Really? That's something because at this point, how could anybody have anything new or
'fresh' to say about the "New World"? I'm glad to hear it. We have some left over at work (The Musical Offering), so I may just pop one open later this week.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:09:22 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline akiralx

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 10:14:02 AM »
"His Dvorak 9 is wonderful"

Really? That's something because at this point, how could anybody have anything new or
'fresh' to say about the "New World"?

Well, it's the Largo that sticks in the memory, I don't think I've heard it done as well, ever.  But the whole performance is very fine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk