Author Topic: Happy Birthday!  (Read 11110 times)

Offline mahler09

Happy Birthday!
« on: July 06, 2010, 10:09:50 PM »
Mahler's 150th is tomorrow.  Is anybody doing anything special?

Offline James Meckley

Re: Happy Birthday!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 10:56:51 PM »
Mahler's 150th is tomorrow.  Is anybody doing anything special?

As I may have posted before, I'm having a few fellow Mahler enthusiasts over to the house. I plan to play a recording of the Eighth Symphony (Bernstein/LSO) and serve Mahler's favorite desert, apricot dumplings (my local grocer has fresh apricots at $2.99/pound) with vanilla ice cream and Viennese coffee.

I had considered going to NYC where the New York Mahler Society has an annual birthday dinner at one of Manhattan's nicer restaurants, but was afraid of encountering a heat wave, which can make being in Manhattan almost unbearable in July and August. Sure enough, it was 100 degrees there today, and 99 is predicted for tomorrow.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline waderice

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 01:07:58 AM »
I "celebrated" a couple of days early by getting through a borrowed truncated cycle of the symphonies and Das Klagende Lied by Tilson Thomas.  By "truncated" I mean that the cycle didn't have M3, M6, & M7.  Some of the symphonies were downloads, and the others were retail SACDs.  The original owner of these disks, sadly, passed away earlier this year, and the custodian of the deceased gentleman's assets asked me to listen to them as to what I thought of the cycle.  Sadly, I'm not that impressed overall with Tilson Thomas' traversal of the symphonies.  About the best of what I heard were M1 and M4, plus Das Klagende Lied.  To top off the Tilson Thomas read-through, I listened to Dudamel's M1 (also borrowed from the same source).

I'll celebrate Mahler's birthday tomorrow by listening to one of my many M2 recordings, one I just came across on loan from my above source.

Wade

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 03:10:40 AM »
Right now I am listening to the Bernstein/NYPO/Sony M7.  I listened to the last movement of the Bernstein/VPO M5 tonight but on the headphones I am using the bass is a bit much as it is, and those DG recordings are really heavy on the bass, so...yeah.
I am definitely going to listen to either M6 or M9 tonight and for sure again tomorrow.  Maybe a dose of M5 and M7 thrown in there for good measure and a little happiness.
I really have not grasped onto the idea of vocals in symphonies, but heck, maybe some of the Mahler stuff is worth hearing, M2 in particular for the occasion.
Oh yeah and I can't forget his piano quartet!
Michael

Offline mike bosworth

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 06:26:21 AM »
I arrived in Jihlava (Czech Republic) yesterday to find Mahler banners fluttering on the
approach to the new Gustav Mahler Park (site of the destroyed synagogue). 
His statue will be unveiled there in a few hours amid pomp and ceremony.

Later today I will be attending memorial events and concerts at Mahler's
nearby birthplace, Kaliste.

I will try to report back on the festivities in due course.

Happy 150th to GM!

Mike Bosworth
(Jihlava)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 06:40:12 AM »
Right now I am listening to the Bernstein/NYPO/Sony M7.  I listened to the last movement of the Bernstein/VPO M5 tonight but on the headphones I am using the bass is a bit much as it is, and those DG recordings are really heavy on the bass, so...yeah.
I am definitely going to listen to either M6 or M9 tonight and for sure again tomorrow.  Maybe a dose of M5 and M7 thrown in there for good measure and a little happiness.
I really have not grasped onto the idea of vocals in symphonies, but heck, maybe some of the Mahler stuff is worth hearing, M2 in particular for the occasion.
Oh yeah and I can't forget his piano quartet!

Michael, the M2 is a great way to be introduced to Mahler's vocal symphonies...give it a try man!  You may be surprised on what it will do to ya. ;) 

--Todd

Offline mahler09

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 10:25:41 AM »
I made apricot dumplings for his 99th death anniversary but it is unbearably hot where I am - with humidity it felt like 105 degrees F yesterday!-  and I am really busy rehearsing Rimsky-Korsakov....I know, on Mahler's birthday.  But I have listened to M1 and M4 in the past few days and plan to squeeze in M9 tonight. 

Offline GL

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 12:22:14 PM »
Thomas Hampson begins season-long celebration of Gustav Mahler’s 150th anniversary with Live webcast
from composer’s birth-House in Kaliste, Czech Republic, on Wednesday, July 7 at 9am EDT on www.medici.tv.

The webcast will also be available for streaming through www.medici.tv for 60 days following the performance.

L.

Offline Ben

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 02:02:47 PM »
A Happy 150th indeed!  I am starting the day listening to Markus Stenz' new M4.  Luckily we're slow at work in the summer, so it gives me good time to listen to lots of music - and helps the tedium of marking orchestra parts!

Offline stillivor

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 04:53:15 PM »
A very happy 150th, maestro.

Turned on the Beeb this morning to find it was the coda of the 8th [bernstein/Vienna Phil.]

In the midst of M7 on my 9th tour of the works, in a terrible old recodrdig with Rosbaud, but suuuuch personality.

Now contemplating Jihlava next year for the other 50th - retiring at the end of next week - hurraaaaaaaah!!

Mahler rocks, is cool, lives and everything.

Ivor

Offline mike bosworth

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 07:50:05 AM »
I was one of the lucky 100 to have a seat in the little concert hall in Mahler's birth house at Kaliste.

The performance by Hampson was wonderful!

Mike Bosworth
(back in Jihlava)

Thomas Hampson begins season-long celebration of Gustav Mahler’s 150th anniversary with Live webcast
from composer’s birth-House in Kaliste, Czech Republic, on Wednesday, July 7 at 9am EDT on www.medici.tv.

The webcast will also be available for streaming through www.medici.tv for 60 days following the performance.

Offline GL

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 08:54:40 AM »
Dear Mike,

could you upload pictures of festive Jihlava and Kaliste?

Thanks in advance.

Luca

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 05:05:18 PM »
I'm getting the EMI Complete Mahler Edition box today.  It has tons of great vocal stuff.  ;D

Offline mahler09

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 11:05:24 PM »
I'm getting the EMI Complete Mahler Edition box today.  It has tons of great vocal stuff.  ;D

Does it include all of the song cycles (the piano or orchestral versions)?  I'd be interested to know who's singing.  Thanks!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 11:51:05 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk