Author Topic: Kaplan's "The Mahler Album" to be Republished  (Read 10935 times)

Offline James Meckley

Kaplan's "The Mahler Album" to be Republished
« on: September 13, 2010, 07:09:17 AM »
An expanded edition of Gilbert Kaplan's long-out-of-print book The Mahler Album is being published by Harry N. Abrams, Inc. This is essentially a photo-biography of Mahler, containing more than 300 images of GM and his world, plus related essays. The release date is March 2011 and the price is $50.00 (available now as an Amazon pre-order for $31.50). Considering that the original edition (1995) was $75.00 and was not generally discounted, this represents quite a bargain. This new edition is said to contain about 30 extra pages.

I missed getting a copy when it came out in '95—it sold out quickly and was not reprinted—so I've already put in a pre-release order.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline waderice

Re: Kaplan's "The Mahler Album" to be Republished
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
I could have bought a copy when it originally came out, but I wasn't going to go bankrupt paying the then-$75.00 for it.  Nice to hear it will be expanded and cheaper.

Wade

Offline Toblacher

What can be "new"?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 03:44:15 PM »
There was one report a few months ago of a new photo being found of GM conducting during a rehersal of the M8 premeire in Munich.  I think it was in a magazine from that time.  It was from a great distance, the figure on the podium was hardly identifiable.

So will there be new drawings, or other photos from GM related sites from that time?

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 04:06:25 PM »
So will there be new drawings, or other photos from GM related sites from that time?

The press release was not specific as to the content of the extra pages—presumably some newly-discovered images have been added. I'm just glad to have a chance to own it without paying the prices it's been commanding as an out-of-print book. The CD-ROM portion of Kaplan's first M2 recording contained many of these images but is no longer viewable on today's computer operating systems (at least not on Mac OS-X), and I recall they were disappointingly low-rez scans anyway.

James
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:26:39 PM by James Meckley »

Offline mike bosworth

Re: What can be "new"?
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 07:17:51 AM »
There was one report a few months ago of a new photo being found of GM conducting during a rehersal of the M8 premeire in Munich.  I think it was in a magazine from that time.  It was from a great distance, the figure on the podium was hardly identifiable.

The photo in question was discovered by yours truly.  It will indeed by included in the revised edition of The Mahler Album.  Kaplan has obtained a high res scan from the original source.  The Austrian National Library also has a high res scan available of the page containing the photo:

http://anno.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/anno-plus?apm=0&aid=oiz&datum=19090005&seite=00001358&zoom=0

It's from the dress rehearsal on 11 September 1910.  No doubt that it's GM on the podium.

Mike Bosworth

john haueisen

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 11:43:26 PM »
Thanks James, for letting us know that the Mahler Album will soon be available again.
Thanks also to Mike for finding the photo of Mahler in rehearsal for M8 before the masses of performers.
As I said in my Amazon review of Gilbert Kaplan's Mahler Album:

"It is often described as a collection of all known photographs of composer/conductor Mahler, yet it is much more than this. It is 310 pages, including photographs, a 22 page chronology of Mahler's life, and several additional pages comprising a chronology of all his works."

The pages, 12 and one half by 9 inches allow as much photographic detail as can be reproduced in book form.
The images include Mahler, his family, his homes, and pictures from the world in which he lived.

To quote again from the Amazon review at:  http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Album-Gilbert-Kaplan/product-reviews/0810942798/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

"And, I've saved the best for last: this work is most aptly introduced by an essay (pages 15-28) written in 1921 by Mahler's friend and scenery designer, Alfred Roller. Introducing the Album with Roller's insightful thoughts about Mahler is yet additional evidence of Gilbert Kaplan's brilliance, good taste, and love for Mahler. Mr. Kaplan, we are indebted to you! Those who love Mahler: this book is for you."

So for those who thought it was just an expensive "picture book," it's much more than that, and at a more affordable price that may get this fine work the exposure it deserves.
--John Haueisen  
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 12:24:02 PM by john haueisen »

Offline brunumb

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 03:27:21 AM »
Thanks from me too James.
I have put in a pre-order with Amazon as well.
Hope the Aussie dollar stays high until the issue date  ;D

Offline mike bosworth

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 03:52:28 AM »
Thanks James, for letting us know that the Mahler Album will soon be available again.
Thanks also to Mike for finding the photo of Mahler in rehearsal for M8 before the masses of performers.

To add to my previous post, the 'new' Munich photo could also be from September 10, 1910.  There was a 'closed' dress rehearsal on that date, followed by a public dress rehearsal the next day.  The photo shows many empty seats in the front row, so hard to say if was taken on Sept. 10th or 11th.

Mike Bosworth

Offline BeethovensQuill

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 07:49:59 PM »
This is great news, i wonder does anyone know of any other books that contain collections of photos of composers?

Offline brunumb

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 08:36:47 AM »
Anyone know what has happened to this?  I've had it on order from Amazon for a while and it was supposed to have been published on 1st March.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 08:45:26 AM »
If you expand the photo, Mahler isn't so small at all. He's quite clear. I'm not certain, but it looks like the harps might be doubled. Also, it's interesting to see the old-style German trombones, which had a much more rounded crook leading to the bell. It's too bad that the photo doesn't go farther to the right, because I assume that's where the rest of the percussion must have been  located (double basses are at the back). I'd love to get a look at what kind and size gong they had there. I'd also be curious to know if the tuba player used an F tuba (small) or a BBb (double B-flat, which means big). They didn't have CC tubas back then, which are ubiquitous now. Great stuff!!

Looking again, it's clear that the vocal soloists are behind the orchestra. I wonder if Mahler wanted it that way, or if it was just because there wasn't any room at the front of the stage. It's strange that you can't see any percussion other than one set of timpani to the far right.

What a strange era that was before WWI - big mustaches and big, BIG floppy hats.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:20:52 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline brunumb

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 09:12:12 PM »
 ???
Thanks for your help barry.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 09:33:16 PM »
Anyone know what has happened to this?  I've had it on order from Amazon for a while and it was supposed to have been published on 1st March.

The publisher, Abrams Books, NYC, now lists a "publishing date" of April 1, 2011. How that differs from a "release date" I don't know. I have a call in to the publisher's office—if any additional information is forthcoming, I'll post it.

James

Offline brunumb

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 08:04:48 AM »
Thank you James   :)

Offline Berry

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 07:48:02 AM »

I preordered a copy of this book from Bruna, which is a Dutch bookstore, two months ago.
It arrived yesterday and I am really happy with it!
The book is quite large and heavy, so best read on a table.
The pages are of a nice, heavy quality and it is an delight to flip through the book and watch the photo's and drawings...

This book is a must-heave for every Mahlerian!

---
Berry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk