Author Topic: Mahler by Solti.  (Read 10947 times)

Offline mahlerei

Re: Mahler by Solti.
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 07:23:28 PM »
Surely no one would dare perform the 'Resurrection' without an organ? The Solti version was recorded in London's Kingsway Hall, which had a J. J. Binns instrument (installed in 1912) and the two Abbado versions were taped in Chicago's Medinah Temple (which also has an organ) and the Lucerne concert hall (ditto).
Thanks for the info. about the Kingsway Hall. So, the Solti recording MUST HAVE THE ORGAN in it! >:(

Perhaps the newly remastered version may reveal the sound of the organ??

If anybody heard the Original-Bit CD, could you comment on the organ?

BTW, I meant Abbado's SECOND Resurrection recording with VPO, NOT the Lucern Festival Orch. which does have organ.

Thanks.

John,

Hmm, a colleague has just listened to the Solti/LSO M2 (original CD release) and admits he can't hear the organ either. Someone who knew the Kingsway Hall very well says the organ was serviceable in 1966 but was in need of an overhaul.

That said, David Hurwitz detects the organ in the remastered Originals release.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=171314

Intriguing....
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 07:31:26 PM by mahlerei »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
It doesn't have much organ, but it's a far more interesting and energetic performance than his Chicago remake. His CSO remake had god-awful vocalists, and ugly early digital era sound quality.

Offline waderice

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 06:54:29 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, Mahler by Solti was fine up to, and including the Eighth, even with the problems that recording has.  After the Eighth, it was all downhill from there.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 11:09:30 PM »
Agreed!

Offline TomR

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 12:34:42 AM »

By the way, the worst Mahler concert I've every heard/seen was an M5 with Solti and the CSO, on tour at Davies Hall. Just plain awful!

Hi Barry - I remember Solti and the CSO doing M5 at War Memorial in the early 70's - did they come back after Davies was built, in the 80's?  The performance I heard was the best orchestral playing I'd ever heard - but it was early in my concert going career. At that time I had heard only a few orchestas - the SFS, of course, the Cleveland Orchestra (unfortunately Szell had already passed away and they were touring with Susskind), the BRSO with Kubelik and a few more provincial orchestras. It was also the first Mahler I heard live but I though it was terrific.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 01:41:22 AM »
The Solti/CSO M5 performance was in Davies Hall sometime in the latter 80's or early 90's, and it was THE WORST orchestral performance of anything I've ever heard in which the vast majority of the notes were still in the right place at the right time. The entire orchestra sounded as though it were at war with itself from beginning to end, and Solti kept his headed buried in the score for much of the time. There appeared to be zero connection between Solti and his players. I didn't even know that there had been a string section present until we reached the Adagietto - lo and behold: strings!

The timpanist sounded terrible; the cymbal player used about five different pairs of cymbals, and they all sounded like the wrong ones; Gordon Peters consistently underplayed the bass drum; the tam-tam was consistently underplayed; Dale Clevenger's dynamic range went from mezzoforte to ffff! (solo horn) - everything just sounded awful, except for the strings during the Adagietto. To make matters worse, they played some totally un-listenable modern monstrosity during the first half.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 06:17:54 AM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk