Author Topic: Mahler by Solti.  (Read 11696 times)

Offline oscar

Mahler by Solti.
« on: August 30, 2009, 06:12:42 PM »
I am interested to know your opinion and reccomendations of the Mahler recordings conducted by  Sir Georg Solti.

Both the Chicago S.O. and the ones made in London,

cheers,
Oscar.

Offline alpsman

Re: Mahler by Solti.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 06:26:05 PM »
Solti is not on my first group considering Mahler but I like him anyway.

I prefer his first recordings with the CSO ie. the 5-6-7.

He is not so musical as Haitink and Chailly and Abbado, Karajan etc. ( Culshaw told that the recording sessions of Mahler symphonies  make hiCulshaw- psysically sick). Also not genuine neurotic as Bernstein or Tennstedt. He used the music as a vehicle for virtuso performances a kind of concertos for orchestra.

Anyway his contribution to Mahler renaisance is precious.

I want your opinions of his second M5 with CSO in 1990. This was recorded live in Musikverein in Vienna and I beleive to be of much interest.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 08:00:15 PM »
Of the Solti-led Mahler recordings, I like

M1/LSO ***
M2/LSO ***
M4/RCO ***
M5/CSO ***
M8/CSO **1/2
M9/LSO ***

I don't care much for the other entries.

John,

Offline brunumb

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 10:42:35 PM »
I really love the LSO M2, particularly the singing.   In my opinion Harper and Watts have not been bettered.
The LSO M1 and M9 are also favourites, and I particularly like Der Abschied in DLvdE with Yvonne Minton.  There is somethng about the ending of the orchestral interlude that sounds just right to me in this recording.  Is it the tam tam ?

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 06:02:14 AM »
I really love the LSO M2, particularly the singing.   In my opinion Harper and Watts have not been bettered.
The LSO M1 and M9 are also favourites, and I particularly like Der Abschied in DLvdE with Yvonne Minton.  There is somethng about the ending of the orchestral interlude that sounds just right to me in this recording.  Is it the tam tam ?
Question:

Is there an organ in the Solti/LSO recording?

I can't hear it and even if there is organ it must be inaudible.

To my ears it sounds as though the organ is replaced by low strings. I mean, they tried to make up for the organ by putting microphones closely to the low strings.

Either way, this recording sounds terrific on my equipment. Solti emphasizes colors and balances of individual instruments, rather than creating homogenized sound. I like this approach very much in M2.

John,

Offline david johnson

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 07:14:18 AM »
the lso m2 and cso m5 (first) are my favorites of solti's mahler.

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 12:07:38 PM »
I've never heard a note of Solti doing Mahler - not sure I want to, either.......

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 09:21:17 PM »
I've never heard a note of Solti doing Mahler - not sure I want to, either.......

Your not missing much!   :o ;)

However, his LSO M9 is pretty darn good.

--Todd

Offline Damfino

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 05:43:37 PM »
Solti was the conductor whose version of the 2nd was what got me into that symphony. His version(s) (particularly the first movement) is fast and intense and it really grabbed me.

At this point, the only Soltis I have on CD are nos. 1 and 2 with the LSO, a 2-disc set.

Posted by John Kim: Is there an organ in the Solti/LSO recording?

I cannot hear one either. But I find the organ difficult to discern in many recordings of M2. With such a huge orchestra and chorus, it sometimes gets lost in the big sound of "WHOOM" from all the forces employed. It was a long time before I even knew there was supposed to be an organ in the finale.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
Damfino,

I agree it's difficult for the organ to come through the big climax. Still, I doubt that organ was even included in the Solti/LSO recording. I don't hear it in Abbado's two DG M2s either and I don't think it was included in the recordings.

Let's not forget Solti's excellent M4th with RCO and Sylvia Stahlman who had a perfect voice to deliver Mahler's innocent and sentimental view of the heaven.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 06:50:42 PM »
I noticed the Solti/LSO M2 is now available on Decca's Original-Bit series.

My copy is from the first reincarnation of the recording, so I wonder how the latest remastered one sound?

Could anyone comment?

Thanks.

John,

Offline mahlerei

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 07:53:56 PM »
Surely no one would dare perform the 'Resurrection' without an organ? The Solti version was recorded in London's Kingsway Hall, which had a J. J. Binns instrument (installed in 1912) and the two Abbado versions were taped in Chicago's Medinah Temple (which also has an organ) and the Lucerne concert hall (ditto).

The late lamented Kingsway Hall, which I used to walk past every day on my way to Fleet Street, was very popular with musicians and recording companies. Sadly the building was torn down in 1996 and replaced by a hotel. One of the hall's endearing characteristics was the 'Kingsway rumble' caused by the Undergorund trains on the Piccadilly Line below.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 08:01:03 PM »
Surely no one would dare perform the 'Resurrection' without an organ? The Solti version was recorded in London's Kingsway Hall, which had a J. J. Binns instrument (installed in 1912) and the two Abbado versions were taped in Chicago's Medinah Temple (which also has an organ) and the Lucerne concert hall (ditto).
Thanks for the info. about the Kingsway Hall. So, the Solti recording MUST HAVE THE ORGAN in it! >:(

Perhaps the newly remastered version may reveal the sound of the organ??

If anybody heard the Original-Bit CD, could you comment on the organ?

BTW, I meant Abbado's SECOND Resurrection recording with VPO, NOT the Lucern Festival Orch. which does have organ.

Thanks.

John,

Offline mahlerei

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 08:30:05 PM »
The Solti/LSO 'Resurrection' is fine until the end, when the engineers intervene and perspectives go awry. That's much more of an issue for me than a backwardly recorded organ. Not even the presence of Harper and Watts can save this one. IMO.

Harper always had a lovely voice. In the 1980s she recorded Strauss's Four Last Songs and several of his orchestral songs under the late Richard Hickox. Some of the best Strauss singing I've ever heard, and that from someone at the end of her singing career.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 08:31:56 PM by mahlerei »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 12:12:59 AM »
The earlier LSO ones of M1, M2, and M9 are preferable to the later Chicago ones. John Kim likes Solti's earlier Concertgebouw M4 very much. Personally, I don't care for any of his M5 recordings, and he was notoriously awful with M3. The CSO M6 and M7 are decent. That said, the timpanist can't play his opening flourish at the start of the finale of M7, and it's all pretty much downhill from there. The notes are all there, but it's like somebody who puts sentences together in a way that's totally incoherent. The M8 is still famous today, although it's certainly not my personal favorite.

By the way, the worst Mahler concert I've every heard/seen was an M5 with Solti and the CSO, on tour at Davies Hall. Just plain awful!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:35:27 AM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk