Author Topic: Rattle picks his own recording of BPO/M9th as No. 1 desert island CD.  (Read 4081 times)

Offline John Kim

Offline Amphissa

Re: Rattle picks his own recording of BPO/M9th as No. 1 desert island CD.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:04:19 PM »

So, then, obviously he is of the opinion that this is the penultimate performance of this work - or at least this portion. Well, it's not so odd that conductors would pick their own recordings. Not only because the music would capture what they thought most incisive in that piece of music, but also because they made that music. Thus the enormous emotional connectivity that one feels to the people, time, event, and music are immediately drawn up into mind by hearing the music. It is a powerful and very personal thing for a musician, because so much of their self is invested in their music. Barenboim did the same thing, selecting as one of his desert island recordings the Elgar cello concerto recording he made with Jackie du Pre. It's as much an emotional connection as it is a judgment of the quality of the recording.

Personally, Rattle's recording would not be on my desert island list. But a recording I made back in the 70s would be -- for exactly the reasons mentioned -- the emotional connectivity to the circumstances, people and era in my life that it elicits.
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Offline akiralx

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 12:16:24 PM »

Elisabeth Schwarzkopf's selection was all her own records - though maybe she didn't understand the premise of the programme: that other artists could be involved!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 08:14:22 AM »
He didn't have to conduct anything. He just stood there and held his hands up without moving them. No wonder it's a desert isle disc for him - he didn't have to do any work!

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk