General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Tilson Thomas M3

(1/2) > >>

Thomass:
Hi everyone,

Haven't been on this board for some time (bit of a Mahler fatigue), but I've been looking into MTT's San Francisco cycle recently. M4 is really good, any thoughts on M3? The final movement seems to be almost as slow as Levine (a personal favourite), with over 26 minutes.
Thanks!

barryguerrero:
Sorry, Thomas, but neither performance is for me. I'm not a fan of that cycle at all. I feel M5 and M9 are the two best ones. I very much like Adam Fischer/Dusseldorf for both M3 and M4.

barryguerrero:
Yes, I do like it a bit better. Both are good.

erikwilson7:
I admire the MTT cycle for great sound and playing, but I’m not a fan of Tilson Thomas’ “interpretation,” if I would use that term. His tempos are odd sometimes, and I think he misses quite a few essential details in the score on most of the recordings, and some things get lost in the mix. The M3 is pretty good, but if I were to single out any from the whole cycle it’d be 4, 6, and 7 (personal preferences). The 5 and 9 are the only two I haven’t heard, so I’ll have to check those out.

They’re broad, epic, and overly emotional, but Bernstein does that all better.

I also want to second that the Ádám Fischer M3 is excellent, and even a bit better than his brother’s.

barryguerrero:
I actually like MTT's earlier LSO recording of M3, even though it's not so well recorded. It's much less fiddled with, in terms of tempo relationships. It also has the outstanding Janet Baker on board, including her last take on the five Ruckert Lieder. Same with Mahler 7: I prefer MTT's ealier LSO one, which - by the way - is really well recorded (RCA). Not my favorite Mahler conductor by a long shot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version