Author Topic: Meine Zeit wird kommen  (Read 15351 times)

Offline GL

Meine Zeit wird kommen
« on: June 23, 2010, 12:57:17 PM »
A documentary/film based on memoirs of N. Bauer Lechner will be broadcast in Austria, Switzerland and Germany in the following days:

Austria

Monday 28.06.10 at 23:15 in ORF2
Tuesday 29.06.10 at 02:30 in ORF2 (WH)
Tuesday 26.10.10 in ORF2

Switzerland

4:07:10 Thursday at 23:00 in SF1
11:07:10 Sunday at 5:35 in SF1 (WH)

Germany

Saturday 4:09:10 20.15 clock in 3sat
01:11:10 Monday in Bayrischen Rundfunk

Regards,
Luca

Offline waderice

Re: Meine Zeit wird kommen
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 05:08:22 PM »
The film is obviously "auf Deutsch" (which I can understand a bit and have tried to keep up with in opera and oratorio after taking it in college many years ago).  If an English dubbing becomes available, please let us know.

Thanks, Wade

Offline GL

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 06:14:19 PM »
Usually this kind of film / documentary is not dubbed. When they come out on DVD, if they come out, then subtitles (almost always in English, sometimes in French) are provided. A clear example is this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gustav-Mahler-Live-Will-Region/dp/B00000JMP5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1277316203&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.de/Gustav-Mahler-Sterben-werd-leben/dp/B000077VOM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1277316312&sr=1-1

I will keep an eye on a possible DVD release. In the meantime, if anyone watch it on TV, I would be glad to read his/her opinions about it on this forum.

Regards,
Luca

Offline GL

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 01:32:42 PM »

Offline mahler09

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 04:13:08 PM »
That looks intriguing!  I'd love to hear reviews on it seeing as it will not be broadcast here.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 11:41:11 PM »
Using the Bauer-Lechner angle is a good idea, since she chronicled very precisely what he had said to her regarding music. It's a pity that Mahler didn't fancy her, but such are the ways of the heart.

Offline Zoltan

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 06:35:59 PM »
Saw it and recorded it. What I'd *really* like to know is how much of it our really her words in the many voiceovers which sound as if she's reading aloud her diary entries. For example:'Mahler wanted 500 performers for "Das klagende Lied"'.

There are also scenes from their encounters which probably aren't all true for dramatic purposes (the info on the ORF site said the maker, Beate Thalberg, worked on it for three years): The first appearance of Alma is very dramatic for example and it's a "fantasy scene" (she just appears from a lightning and Mahler crashes from his bicycle) alluding to the fact that the three met at the Atterse (according to the ORF site).

Is somebody interested? I might be able to upload it (though it's DVD-quality, so it'll be quite big a file).

Offline mahler09

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 09:22:57 PM »
Apart from the dramatic elements (which are more or less expected when telling a person's life on television), was it mostly accurate?  You can probably find some of her writings online and compare.

Also...I'm now a junior member!  ;D

Offline Zoltan

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 10:06:34 AM »
Apart from the dramatic elements (which are more or less expected when telling a person's life on television), was it mostly accurate?  You can probably find some of her writings online and compare.

It's much easier to say for me, that I didn't consider much of what Natalie says in the documentation to be false on first hearing. But let me try to do what you ask for ...
The line "I cannot marry you. I can only marry a beautiful woman." is apparently something that we know from Alma (see here) and out not from Natalie. Yet, we see the dramatic moment her asking him to marry (with the voice-over from Natalie).

The diaries of Natalie (what's left of them) are in the possesion of de La Grange and he's mentioned in the credits, so I would gather (together with the three year period of preparing and making this film) that Beate Thalberg had more insight, than what we could know from the published source from Natalie's diaries.

Offline GL

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 12:17:34 PM »
Saw it and recorded it. What I'd *really* like to know is how much of it our really her words in the many voiceovers which sound as if she's reading aloud her diary entries. For example:'Mahler wanted 500 performers for "Das klagende Lied"'.

There are also scenes from their encounters which probably aren't all true for dramatic purposes (the info on the ORF site said the maker, Beate Thalberg, worked on it for three years): The first appearance of Alma is very dramatic for example and it's a "fantasy scene" (she just appears from a lightning and Mahler crashes from his bicycle) alluding to the fact that the three met at the Atterse (according to the ORF site).

Is somebody interested? I might be able to upload it (though it's DVD-quality, so it'll be quite big a file).

I could be interested.

Among Alma's writings, I think the only source that is reliable as much as Bauer-Lechner's, is her diaries.

First meeting between Gustav and Alma, according to her diary:

"Tuesday, 11 July 1899

...We were just leaving Gosaumuehle when Mahler rode towards us on his bicycle, behind him an old woman [presumably N. Bauer-Lechner], followed by his sister and [Arnold] Rosé. I cycled past as quick as a flash. The Geringers dismounted, the others too. Mahler asked if this was the roas to Hallstatt. Christine said it wasn't, and offered to show him the way. By this time I was riding more slowly. they caught up with me and said: "Mahler is following us."
He soon caught up with us, and rode alongside about four or five times. every time, he struck up a conversation. Shortly before Hallstatt he dismounted. We were pushing our bikes, and he started up another conversation, staring hard at me. I jumped onto my bike and rode off into the distance. the Geringers were amgry: they'd wanted to introduce me, and he was expecting it too... Anyway, I felt absolutely no urge to meet him. I love and honour him as an artist, but as a man he doesn't interest me at all..."

There were other meetings in Vienna (while walking on the street, at the restaurant Hartmann, at the Prater ..., all recorded in Alma's diary) before the famous evening at the Zuckerkandls'.
The extract I quoted comes from the book: Gustav Mahler, Letters to His Wife, Faber and Faber:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gustav-Mahler-Letters-his-Wife/dp/0571212042/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278418134&sr=1-1

Regards,
Luca

Offline MeineZeit

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 12:33:16 PM »
The film is obviously "auf Deutsch"

hi there, as I am the filmmaker, I can tell you that Unitel classica will distribute the film worldwide and prepares an English version. A DVD will come out, I do not know yet when. Thanks for your posting. It´s always very interesting to read comments on films, you´ve made.

Offline MeineZeit

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 01:33:05 PM »
What I'd *really* like to know is how much of it our really her words in the many voiceovers which sound as if she's reading aloud her diary entries.

May the filmmaker sail in? 70 per cent of the words are her´s. Sometimes I put a long sentence into 3 sentences. then her diary is written language, I respected very much her words, beautiful words by the way, just "Tintenfischl" is such a wonderful neologism, but sometimes I diversified the word order. some sentences I took out of her book "Fragmente", that she published in 1907.

The first appearance of Alma is very dramatic for example and it's a "fantasy scene" (she just appears from a lightning and Mahler crashes from his bicycle) alluding to the fact that the three met at the Atterse (according to the ORF site).

exactly. I extended the fact, that they have met at the Attersee to a dramatic moment. As much as I followed the lifes of historic personalities as it is reported, I also made a film wich needs dramatization. I didn´t pretend: this is true, I did the opposite with a special artifice: the glow-light which characterises a certain "meta level", a vision, as you correctly recognized.
I
[/

Offline MeineZeit

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 01:48:44 PM »

The line "I cannot marry you. I can only marry a beautiful woman." is apparently something that we know from Alma

Oh, Zoltan, that´s true, but  obviously you misunderstood, that in the film Natalie says shortly before Almas words, read by another female voice: "Alma Mahler rumoured the story like this:". So I marked Almas words as Almas words. This part is, by the way, an unpublished and later cancelled one in the original script of her memoirs. I was happy to be allowed to read that document due to the generosity of the owner of it, Mr. Henry-Louis de La Grange.

The diaries of Natalie (what's left of them) are in the possession of de La Grange and he's mentioned in the credits, so I would gather (together with the three year period of preparing and making this film) that Beate Thalberg had more insight, than what we could know from the published source from Natalie's diaries.
[/quote]

yes, I could read the original diaries, 9 are left, they badly need to be looked up by scientists. I couldn´t find one scientifical work about Natalie or Gustav and Natalie. She is only mentioned, a footnote. Zoltan, thank you very much for your posting.

Offline waderice

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 03:35:11 PM »
While we are on the subject of Mahler film biographies, does anyone know if a remastered version of the Ken Russell 1974 film will be reissued any time soon?  It's been out of print (at least here in the U.S.) for quite some time now.

Wade

Offline mahler09

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 11:01:01 PM »
"Yes, I could read the original diaries, 9 are left, they badly need to be looked up by scientists."
Does La Grange own the 9 diaries or are they in the possesion of somebody else? 

Also, I haven't seen the Russell film because it is out of print but from what I've heard it's a bit out there.  Any opinions on it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk