Author Topic: Levine's Partial Mahler Cycle on RCA being released as a boxed set  (Read 17938 times)

Offline brunumb

HMV Japan have flagged the release of a boxed set of Levine's Mahler recordings in October.
Sym, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, : Levine / LSO, CSO, Philadelphia Orch

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3889432/?site=mailmagart

Offline vvrinc

Levine's Partial Mahler Cycle on RCA being released as a boxed set
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 04:06:14 PM »
Sym, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, : Levine / LSO, CSO, Philadelphia Orch

:'( No no. 10? If so, dumb! >:(

Offline barry guerrero

Levine's Partial Mahler Cycle on RCA being released as a boxed set
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 05:15:52 PM »
Yes, why would they leave out his 10th (even if I find most of it too slow by half)?

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Re: Levine's Partial Mahler Cycle on RCA being released as a boxed set
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 02:57:48 PM »
I split this into its own topic from the "Forthcoming Releases" thread.  

The M10 is indeed being included in the boxed set.  The set appears to be a "Europe"-sourced release, so it makes me think that the better Japanese remasterings (e.g. the M3) may not be included in the set.  OTOH, it is possible that the whole set is being newly remastered.  

Here is Google's translation of the HMV.JP page:

Levine / Mahler Symphony Collection (10CD)
08 Recordings RCA ·

Levine since the 1980 box set compilation of the 1974 RCA recording of Mahler's symphonies conducted in eight. Because many are not available in the state were going out of print, but the good news of this set, Limited Edition for the distribution period will probably be shorter.

Conductor Levine - The Birth of genius;
Levine made his debut as a pianist at the age of 10, then, and Rudolf Serkin, Joseph Levin, Jean Morel, who received education and master's Walter Levin, LaSalle Quartet, and even five years from the 1965 George - He will put the ability of cells to an assistant.
 Such efforts bore fruit in 1970, and successfully conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra debut at age 27, the same year, became popular in Wales and the San Francisco Opera debut next year, also appeared in the Metropolitan Opera , In 1973 he became music director of the Ravinia Festival Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Levine was a brilliant start to a professional.
 Early career, piano, chamber music, conducting concerts, friendly competition with four categories of conducting opera, talent Levine was active in their fields, but there was something amazing, it even recording to verify possible. Although it was very early recordings for EMI, RCA 1973 is to start recording, and afterwards will be making a lot of attention to the board for 11 years until 1984.

- Symphony No. 1;
Recorded in August 1974. Mahler 2nd record. The play led the London Symphony Orchestra Previn era, played a vibrant young Levine comfortable really unique. Invigoration is also heard in the 4th movement coda.

- Symphony No. 3;
Recorded in July 1975. Chicago Symphony Orchestra in the appointment of a lively piece of brass was a big success. Post horn solo Herseth ranging from subtle to full strength tutti are decorated with charming full-length sound. In this work of genius as an opera conductor is alive and well Levine, bringing a distinctive aesthetic movement supple the horse's sixth turn of phrase that song. Featured is a recorded performance by the overwhelming success of the Ravinia Festival.

- Symphony No. 4;
Recorded in July 1974. No. 4 was shot in the first Mahler cycle Levine, the settlement was a good performance projection fine form in a fresh lyrical perspective, what the listener interprets often discard the zest of a neat and clean singing songs rich world Buregen . Late stages of development and the first movement sounds bursting strength of the Chicago Symphony, the last punch of the third movement, of course, are perfect for the content of the finished piece is vibrant and lively performance as a whole.

- Symphony No. 5;
Recorded in January 1977. The highly popular best-selling board LP era, the eloquence Kiwameta approach to detail, further emphasized the verbosity of the work, dynamic methods are comfortable excitement away anyway. Adagietto will also sing with our cotton, which makes you think about beautiful and I want to do this if you do it again. Comfort 演 Philadelphia tube can enjoy virtuoso.

- Symphony No. 6;
Recorded in February 1978. Show a strong concentration from the start, overwhelming sense of urgency to ending, showed a high level of performance across the full length full finish. Are also paying attention to elements in a variety of skill is enough to listen Gotae they sounded sublime climax in the fourth movement.

- Symphony No. 7;
Recorded in July 1980. Seventh, the music is heard often intricate and complex work, Levine was playing a very clear, in the framework of a solid, full cost, including the Chicago Symphony virtuoso Donald timpani hear what is being demonstrated. This is high-resolution performance was well sung crowded every detail.

- Symphony No. 9;
Recorded in January 1979. Levine keen sense of orchestration is expected, even in large complex first movement, which will be played expressively, as each component should be treated just like the characters of the opera, expanded Sonata form is a huge cathedral are skillfully drawn Customer Coda goes toward collapse. The fourth movement is also excellent over 29 minutes, utilizing the full power of the music section of the pipe string Philadelphia high performance, despite the slow tempo, there remained short of stunning beauty from beginning to end.

- Symphony No. 10;
Recorded in April 1978 and January 1980. Version 1 recorded by Deryck Cooke version 3. That less than 82 minutes playing time songs, and set the tempo was slow in the most number 10 a few, but because it's a great sound of the orchestra, a characteristic that is a beautiful finish really like movement at both ends. However, the force of percussion instruments which has great finale, we have succeeded in giving a strong contrast to the transverse flow of such aesthetic. (HMV)

- Recording information;
Mahler: Symphonies Vol.
Disc-1
Symphony No. 1 in D major - [Giant (1974)
 London Symphony Orchestra

F-sharp minor - first movement Symphony No. 10 (1978)
 Philadelphia Orchestra

Disc-2
The second F-sharp minor - Symphony No. 10 - Movement 05 (1980)
 Philadelphia Orchestra

Disc-3
- Symphony No. 4 in G major (1974)
 Judith Buregen (S)
 Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Symphony No. 7 in E minor - Song of Night 』first movement (1980)

Disc-4
Symphony No. 7 in E minor - Song of the night - the second movement 』05 (1980)

Disc-5
- Symphony No. 5 in C sharp minor (1977)
 Philadelphia Orchestra

Disc-6
- [Symphony No. 6 in A minor tragedy - the first three movements 』(1977)

Disc-7
- [Symphony No. 6 in A minor tragedy 』4th movement (1977)

The first movement in D minor - Symphony No. 3 (1975)

Disc-8
No. 3 in D minor - 2nd movement - Symphony 6 (1975)
 Marilyn Horne (Ms)
 Adolph Herseth (post horn)
 Chicago Symphony Chorus
 Margaret Hillis (choir)
 Glen Ellyn Children's Chorus
 Doreen Reio (chorus)

Disc-9
1 - Symphony No. 9 in D major - movement 2 (1979)
 Philadelphia Orchestra

Disc-10
- 3 - Symphony No. 9 in D major, fourth movement (1979)
 Philadelphia Orchestra

James Levine (conductor)
Scott

Offline Alexandros

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 01:14:57 PM »
And all this for 2.500 yen (21 Euro)? Amazing! Thanks!

Offline vvrinc

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 01:44:06 AM »
Does anyone know, for fact, if this set will ever be released in the US and/or England? Is it a Japan-only release?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:36:47 AM by vvrinc »

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 03:26:22 AM »
Can anyone who has purchased this this set confirm whether or not it's been remastered—that is, does it sound better than, or at least different from, the original US RCA releases on CD? Thanks.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 03:28:24 AM »
I bought it for $26 while I was traveling in Asia.

I've checked the M3rd, M4th, M6th, and M9th so far. I can tell you that the sound has been improved thanks to the 24bit digital remastering. For example, the thin, edgy string sound in the M9th has nearly disappeared and the bass seems to have been fortified.

I really love Levine's way with the Fourth; he is as lyrical as I can imagine but he also doesn't forget to emphasize details, some of which I've never heard elsewhere. As for the Finale, I am particularly impressed with the slow tempo he adopts for the coda, and it makes a fine contrast to the earlier sections.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 03:34:32 AM »
One more thing:

This set sounds somewhat different than Japanese remastering of the same recordings that were released a few years ago. I have the Japanese M1, M6, and M9. I think the new RCA edition has sonics that are 'meatier' and 'gutsier'. The Japanese CDs are superior to the original RCA releases in their own ways, but they sound smoother and creamier than the latest box set.

John
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 03:36:38 AM by John Kim »

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 08:02:29 AM »
Thanks, John. "Meaty and gutsy" seem better than "smooth and creamy" to me, at least for most Mahler. I'll order the set—it's certainly cheap enough.

I wonder if they've been able to repair the inept splice at around 15:50 in the first movement of Symphony 4—listen for a glitch in the horn solo.

James

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 09:58:21 PM »
Thanks, John. "Meaty and gutsy" seem better than "smooth and creamy" to me, at least for most Mahler. I'll order the set—it's certainly cheap enough.

I wonder if they've been able to repair the inept splice at around 15:50 in the first movement of Symphony 4—listen for a glitch in the horn solo.

James

I can tell the tone color change that there is a as splice there.  It happens on the second beat of the ninth measure after Rehearsal 24 on the written A.  However, had you not mentioned it, I'm sure I would not have noticed.  How bad was it on the previous editions?
Russ Smiley

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 10:43:26 PM »
How bad was it on the previous editions?

It's pretty noticeable—one might even say startling—on the 2004 RCA "Classic Library" release. On the other hand, having made thousands of undetectable analog tape splices over the years, I'm particularly sensitive to bad ones.

James

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 05:53:56 PM »
I know that this is a budget set, but how is it that they mess up some of the basic information printed on the CD sleeves.  They incorrectly list the M3 orchestra as the Philadelphia Orchestra, while correctly (IIRC) listing the Chicago chorus and the Medinah Temple recording location.  Ugh! 
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 11:27:05 PM »

James

I can tell the tone color change that there is a as splice there.  It happens on the second beat of the ninth measure after Rehearsal 24 on the written A.  However, had you not mentioned it, I'm sure I would not have noticed.  How bad was it on the previous editions?
I notice it too, but it's not that bad on this disc :)

John,

Offline Don

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 01:28:48 PM »
Nice to have this set back with some great sound. My only bark is that almost all the symphonies are split between 2 discs, I imagine done to keep discs to a minimum and cost down. It makes for a lot of changing for us with single disc systems.
M10 Fanatic!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk