Author Topic: A Vivian Blumenschein documentary re: Zinman/Tonhalle Zurich M6  (Read 5847 times)

Offline barry guerrero

http://www.goingagainstfate.com/

hey, check out this link regarding a new documentary about Zinman doing Mahler 6 in Zurich. Be sure that you look at the trailer! If you thought that Gergiev was too quick with the beginning, you'll be pleased with what you hear here. Stick with it long enough to see/hear the hammerstroke! Even better, listen to how slowly Zinman does the very, VERY end of the symphony.

Under "Evaluation", I discovered that this will be showing at a movie house in Zurich on Sundays. It also says that it'll be released on DVD in the autumn of 2008. I'm hoping that somebody will distribute it in the U.S.

Now, I've got to tell you folks, I saw Zinman do M6 with the SFSO several years before MTT made his recording of it with them. I enjoyed Zinman's performance much, much more than MTT's (which wasn't terrible, but was simply too slow with the two inner movements - his scherzo wasn't the slightest bit frightening, and he turned Mahler's "andante moderato" into a Brucknerian adagio, which it ain't).

Barry "I've earned my five stars today" Guerrero
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 05:49:42 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline John Kim

Re: A Vivian Blumenschein documentary re: Zinman/Tonhalle Zurich M6
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
Barry,

Thanks for the info.

It looks like Zinman's hitting every Mahler symphony with hard marks. I recall hearing a Zinman M9th with Aspen Festival Orchestra in 1999 which was, to say the least, beautifully proportioned, balanced, and executed. Never before I had heard such a musically solid but emotionally satisfying performance. I look forward Zinman's M9th with highest expectation.

Of course, his M6th is the next ;)

John,

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 04:14:31 PM »
Thanks, Barry.

Note that you can also download their press release pdf.

We can let the producers know that we want the DVD distributed in the U.S.

Contact Susann Henggeler, susannhenggeler@mac.com and let her know.

. & '

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 08:08:43 PM »
Well, the trailer certainly gets my blood flowing in anticipation of his M6.   ;D
Scott

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 12:22:49 AM »
Sadly I can't view the trailer, as I no longer have internet at home (and my work computer filters this site)...but I am looking forward to a Zinman M6  :)

--Todd

Offline sbugala

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 12:47:14 AM »
It looks awesome! I can't wait to see the whole thing, if possible.  Too bad it won't use the nuclear hammerblows from his Baltimore days. 

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 01:24:53 AM »
It looks awesome! I can't wait to see the whole thing, if possible.  Too bad it won't use the nuclear hammerblows from his Baltimore days. 

Okay, since it was mentioned, I'll ask.  What is the story behind the "nuclear hammerblows" in that Baltimore recording?
Russ Smiley

Offline sbugala

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 04:34:47 AM »
There was a 3 disc set devoted to Zinman's tenure in Baltimore called the Zinman Legacy. It included a Mahler 6th with three hammerblows. However, they were amplified with a degree of reverb for a very unusual effect. It's like a nuke going off.  It's almost a party record for Mahler fans because they're so over the top.  While they are NOT the dull thuds that Mahler wanted, I stubbornly believe that Mahler would not necessarily be opposed to the technology.

He's done it this way as a guest conductor, too, as I think Barry will attest. My friend who attended the Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore during the Z-man days dubs them "Praxis" Hammerblows, in homage to the planet in Star Trek VI that blows up with a tremendous shockwave blowing outwards.

I had some hope that Zinman would do it again in his Zurich cycle, even if it was as a bonus track.  But only because I want the craziness in even better sound. It's probably not right to make light of Mahler's darkest symphony, but even though I think it's a funny effect, I think Zinman seriously thinks they work.  So, I have to at least praise him for thinking outside the box.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 05:40:11 AM by sbugala »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 08:04:02 AM »
The "nuclear" hammerstrokes were somehow electronically enhanced. When Zinman did M6 in S.F., one of the percussions slammed both hands down on a keyboard. It sounded as though someone had detonated a bomb underneath the stage. The same effect is on the Baltimore recording, as mentioned. Each of the two strokes reverberates for several seconds on the recording. On the trailer for this documentary, they're striking a large wooden hammer onto a large wooden box of some sort. Try to watch the trailer because it turns out to be a rather funny moment.

Barry
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 08:26:39 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 11:49:58 PM »
The "nuclear" hammerstrokes were somehow electronically enhanced. When Zinman did M6 in S.F., one of the percussions slammed both hands down on a keyboard. It sounded as though someone had detonated a bomb underneath the stage. The same effect is on the Baltimore recording, as mentioned. Each of the two strokes reverberates for several seconds on the recording. On the trailer for this documentary, they're striking a large wooden hammer onto a large wooden box of some sort. Try to watch the trailer because it turns out to be a rather funny moment.

Barry

I previously owned the recording, and I wondered why it was so overdone.  The video trailer was very encouraging, however, I think it'll be a shame if that effect is repeated on the Tonhalle issue.  My 2ยข.
Russ Smiley

Offline sbugala

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 03:22:14 AM »
Believe me, I don't think I could go along with it if it was solely electronically enhanced. But if they decided to issue it with a bonus track, I'd be giddy.   :D

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 05:52:43 AM »
I had read or heard somewhere that Zinman wasn't doing the electronic bit in Zurich. Personally, I rather like it. But it'll be nice to have two Zinman M6 recordings; one with the electronic hammerstrokes from hell (Baltimore), and one without. When he performed it in S.F., there was another percussionist who struck a thick, wooden surface with a wooden hammer. MTT came up with a huge wooden box, with a sound-hole facing the audience, that sounded really good. Still, I greatly preferred Zinman's conducting of it.

Barry
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 06:25:21 AM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk