Author Topic: Stenz M8 on Oehms: best tam-tam smashes ever!  (Read 5933 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Stenz M8 on Oehms: best tam-tam smashes ever!
« on: December 01, 2012, 07:54:28 AM »
I've only listened through the Stenz M8 once, and I wasn't able to crank it up either. As you guys know, it's a pretty fast performance - only 77 minutes. The cast is really pretty good. The tenor is good but not as helden tenor-ish as Johann Botha (Boulez, de Billy). The organ is decent but not overwhelming either. As with Bertini, Stenz goes pretty quickly through the Three Penitent Women section before "blicket auf".

But there are two things that really standout: the series of tam-tam smashes at Part II's ending are just off-the-hook, and Stenz really hangs on to that final chord.

For me, big-time kudos for those two important points alone.

Offline John Kim

Re: Stenz M8 on Oehms: best tam-tam smashes ever!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:37:26 PM »
I also like the way Stenz applies the huge retardando towards the reprise of the main theme, 'Veni' in Part I. He really slows down here and in the ending to Part II as well, all to great effects.

But I have some reservation about the recording sound. It is recorded at a level too low and lacks clarity and details in places. Also, bells are too weak in Part I.

Otherwise, it's an excellent Mahler 8th.

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »
I like much of the Stenz cycle so far, and if you'd have told me in advance that his M8 would have a big ending featuring HUGE tam tam blasts, I would have been fairly certain that this would end up being one of my favorite M8's.  Unfortunately, I am just not a fan of the overall performance after my one listening session (which was done a couple of weeks ago). 

I really do not like the way that Stenz pushes and pulls the tempi.  Most of these adjustments stand out in a way that they should not, bringing too much attention to what the conductor is doing and not enough to the music.  I specifically do not like how he handles the return of the Veni music after the fugue section.  The slow down is entirely too noticeable and drwan out for my taste.   I don't remember being a big fan of the singing either, but it was all acceptable. 

I never posted anything on the Dudamel M8 blu-ray, but THAT is one fantastic M8. 
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:08:34 AM »
On repeated listening, I've become more accustomed to the Stenz M8. It is a somewhat severe and purposeful reading, emphasizing the contrast between fast and slow sections. I rather like the tenor, which is always a big 'bug-a-boo' for me. I think Jovanovich might be the best current M8 tenor other than Johann Botha. But more than anything, I just love the way Stenz  handles everything from the start of the "Chorus Mysticus" to the very final chord. I love how he allows time for each of the big tam-tam smashes to ring on. It's such an obvious thing to do that one wonders why it simply doesn't dawn on more conductors.

It's another small point, but I like how Stenz doesn't drag the orchestral passage for high strings, harps and harmonium (chamber organ), located after the tenor's first big solo. Yet, he doesn't rush through it either, which is my one big complaint about the Inbal M8. That passage IS marked Adagissimo, but it's an Adagissimo in cut-time (the half note gets the beat). Many people take it waaay too slow. For me, Stenz pegs it just right.

Part 1 I don't care about so much, but I do like Zinman and Dudamel a bit more. But that's not a deal breaker for me. Dudumel is, of course, 'king' when it comes to the choral bits.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 08:28:42 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Andrew-Kenneth

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 10:24:08 PM »
Sad news. Maria Radner (Maria Aegyptiaca in Stenz M8) was among the casualties in today's Germanwings crash.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/germanwings-airbus-a320-plane-crash-5394028

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 06:04:01 AM »
Wow, that's sad news indeed.

Offline justininsf

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 05:32:47 AM »
On repeated listening, I've become more accustomed to the Stenz M8. It is a somewhat severe and purposeful reading, emphasizing the contrast between fast and slow sections. I rather like the tenor, which is always a big 'bug-a-boo' for me. I think Jovanovich might be the best current M8 tenor other than Johann Botha. But more than anything, I just love the way Stenz  handles everything from the start of the "Chorus Mysticus" to the very final chord. I love how he allows time for each of the big tam-tam smashes to ring on. It's such an obvious thing to do that one wonders why it simply doesn't dawn on more conductors.

It's another small point, but I like how Stenz doesn't drag the orchestral passage for high strings, harps and harmonium (chamber organ), located after the tenor's first big solo. Yet, he doesn't rush through it either, which is my one big complaint about the Inbal M8. That passage IS marked Adagissimo, but it's an Adagissimo in cut-time (the half note gets the beat). Many people take it waaay too slow. For me, Stenz pegs it just right.

Part 1 I don't care about so much, but I do like Zinman and Dudamel a bit more. But that's not a deal breaker for me. Dudumel is, of course, 'king' when it comes to the choral bits.

I find Stenz's part 1's to be one of my favorites.  He is extreme with his retards, but I rather like that.  In fact I've been listening to his Mahler 8 so much recently I am very interested to hear the rest of his Mahler.  I've been using the second half of part1 to run my sound system through it's paces, at least that's the excuse I've been using to listen to it over and over again.

Is the Dudamel available on CD or just bluray/DVD?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 06:32:18 AM »
It's not available as a CD.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk