Author Topic: YouTube Video Cooke M10 conducted by Yannick Nezet-Seguin  (Read 3284 times)

Offline waderice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMN_DWY9RX8

He will be conducting this in Philadelphia two weeks from today.  This performance is with the Rotterdam PO performing in the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam.

Wade
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:03:59 AM by waderice »

Offline barry guerrero

Re: YouTube Video Cooke M10 conducted by Yannick Nezet-Seguin
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 06:39:09 AM »
Personally, I like this orchestra more than the Concertgebouw. For one thing, the trumpets use German rotary valve ones, which I prefer in Austro-German music. I haven't listened to all of this, but I feel that N.-S. slows down too much for the Brahmsian second subject (very autumnal sounding) in the Purgatorio movement. I know he wants to make a contrast there, but it's too much of one - it really brings the music to a standstill. Frankly, I think the desired world-weary, autumnal sounding effect works better when it's kept moving. Also, if you're going to slow down THAT MUCH for the climactic passage of the Purgatoria, why not add some extra percussion! - a cymbal crash at exactly 41:00, and a mezzoforte tam-tam stroke at 48:14. Neither one needs to be loud. It would add a lot. Still, this is quite good, so thanks for posting it. 

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 05:11:13 PM »
I attended the concert on the 21st of April in Rotterdam (and the rehearsal during the morning of that same day - the whole symphony was played in one go, so I got two performances in one day!), and I absolutely loved it. Yes, N.-S. takes it slow, maybe too slow at some points, but this Tenth was all about Todesverkünden!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 06:42:04 PM by Freddy van Maurik »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 06:47:01 PM »
I think it's quite good too, and I really like that orchestra. I don't want to exaggerate my reservations.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk