Author Topic: In case you missed the WRTI broadcast of the Philly M8 - Youtube to the rescue!  (Read 4278 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Can somebody burn discs from this, before it gets taken down? I'll gladly pay the expense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyXD7D5SAWc

After hearing this again, I concur that the choral work from these two great adult choirs is as good as you'll EVER hear it. For my taste (or lack thereof), this is the greatest overall Mahler 8 I've ever heard, balance issues of the broadcast aside. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 08:53:20 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Wow! I'm going to have to hear this pronto. Thanks for the heads up Barry!

Offline Russ Smiley

This really is a revelatory performance. I wish they lingered just a tad more here and there, but if this becomes a formal release, I'll snap it up immediately.
Russ Smiley

Offline waderice

What was truly fortunate for me, is that I was there to experience it live and in person!  When my Philadelphia Orchestra subscription came up for renewal last year, I made ABSOLUTELY SURE that my renewal included this performance!

Except for the M8 performances I was fortunate to participate in years ago, this was by far, the best live M8 performance I ever heard, and should expect to hear!  The sense of occasion in the Kimmel Center Verizon Hall was evident, and the atmosphere was absolutely charged with electricity!  Just as special a time as it had to have been years ago when Horenstein conducted it in Albert Hall before an audience that for the most part, had never heard the work, considering that the work had last been performed in Britain, in 1938, I believe.  And I'm sure it was the same way a century ago when Stokowski first performed the work in America, here in Philly.

If somehow, a commercial release of the performance becomes available, and once I hear about it, I'll let everyone here know.

Wade

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
This is truly a special experience with the sound of the orchestra so direct and driven under Nezet-Seguin's baton. The vocalists and choirs are clear and sound inspired. Wow, it sure is fun to hear details in the score I've never heard. I especially like the sound of the organ!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:14:39 PM by Leo K »

Offline waderice

This is truly a special experience with the sound of the orchestra so direct and driven under Nezet-Seguin's baton. The vocalists and choirs are clear and sound inspired. Wow, it sure is fun to hear details in the score I've never heard. I especially like the sound of the organ!

The Fred J. Cooper Memorial Organ in Philadelphia's Kimmel Center Verizon Hall is touted as the largest concert hall organ in the country.

Wade

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk