Author Topic: New York Maazel digital download cycle  (Read 4542 times)

Offline sbugala

New York Maazel digital download cycle
« on: April 04, 2011, 03:33:11 AM »
Even though I find some of Maazel's tempo choices way too weird for my tastes, I've taken a liking to his New York M1, M3, and M6. I'm contemplating getting some others, but I was curious if anyone was aware of a "boxed" set way to get them all (i.e. one big download for a cheaper price)?  I thought this was offered at one time, but I am probably mistaken. 

Thanks,
Steve

Offline Roffe

Re: New York Maazel digital download cycle
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 04:55:53 AM »
I wrote the following in another thread some monsths ago:

you can buy the VPO/Maazel box set of 14 CDs with M1-M10 adagio + Kindertotenlieder at Amazon.com for only $29.99. I've only listen to the full  M3 (110 mins) and M9 (85 mins), and they are extremely slow, but if you like it, it's a bargain.

Roffe
 http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphonies-Nos-1-10-Limited/dp/B00006J45S/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1297155446&sr=1-1

And the price now seems to be down to $27 at the Amazon marketplace.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 05:17:39 AM »
I do recall this, and I've been tempted for this set, too. (Thanks for the heads up, on this some weeks back.) However, I was hoping for a bundle of the New York Philharmonic recordings available only as a download. 

Here's one example from the "set":
http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphony-No-6/dp/B002G6H9KA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1301894216&sr=8-8

Offline Roffe

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 08:34:11 AM »
Sorry,
Didn't read properly. I missed the words New York.

Roffe

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »
Even though I find some of Maazel's tempo choices way too weird for my tastes, I've taken a liking to his New York M1, M3, and M6. I'm contemplating getting some others, but I was curious if anyone was aware of a "boxed" set way to get them all (i.e. one big download for a cheaper price)?  I thought this was offered at one time, but I am probably mistaken.  

Thanks,
Steve

I previously downloaded all but the M8 from eMusic.  At the time, each movement was considered a single download with an effective cost of $0.60 per movement -- or less than $3 per symphony.  The M8 was multi-tracked (perhaps 18 tracks total), so it wasn't a particularly good deal.  Unfortunately, eMusic changed their deal shortly thereafter so that each symphony counted for 12 downloads.  

I've posted about the Maazel/NYPO M2 a couple of times.  IMO, it is the finest of all M2's in my vast collection.  All of Maazel's idiosyncracies work very well in the M2.  Many of the others are worthwhile simply for the glorious playing of the NYPO -- which has never sounded better - particularly in M3 and M9.  
Scott

Offline sbugala

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 02:57:52 AM »
I think that must have been the deal I was thinking of, because I believe you were the one who stated it.  I'm kinda kicking myself now, but that's the way it goes, sometimes.

I appreciate the info!

Steven

Offline sbugala

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 03:10:09 AM »
I've recently downloaded the 2nd from HD Tracks, and the 9th from Amazon. I'm not quite done with the 2nd, but I'm already regretting not going for the 9th as a FLAC from HD Tracks, too.  I think it sounds far better in that format. Amazing brass playing from the New York Philharmonic, and no really weird mannerisms that sometimes make me aloof to Maazel.  I may have to replace the 1,3, and 6 my friend taped off the radio. Kudos to HD tracks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk