Author Topic: Saint Louis Symphony performs M2 this Saturday, 4/9  (Read 4789 times)

Offline sbugala

Saint Louis Symphony performs M2 this Saturday, 4/9
« on: April 08, 2011, 04:07:31 AM »
The Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra will perform Mahler's Symphony No. 2 this Saturday at 8 pm Central time (well...after Barber's Prayers of Kierkegaard.) Christine Brewer is the Soprano, and Kelley O'Connor is the Mezzo. David Robertson conducts.

Those interested can listen live via the internet at http://news.stlpublicradio.org/ 

For program notes, click here http://www.stlsymphony.org/notes/1011/20110408.pdf

I'll be there...as will Don.

Steve

Offline Don

Re: Saint Louis Symphony performs M2 this Saturday, 4/9
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 11:53:15 AM »
Yep, see you there I hope!
M10 Fanatic!

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 09:46:28 PM »
Aren't you guys in St. Louis lucky!! M6 and M2 in the same year.  I suppose I cannot complain too much.  We get M10/Cooke in Houston next month.  However, the Houston SO hasn't played M2, M3, M7, M8, or M9 since Eschenbach left. 
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 09:54:07 PM »
Gee, you only gave this a 4/9 rating?!?  ;)

Offline sbugala

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 11:53:27 PM »
And this fall we get M1, again under Robertson.  I've skipped the M1 the last couple times they've offered it under Roberto Abbado and Pinchas Steinberg, so I'll probably go to hear it in Sept. 

That's cool that you get to hear M10. I'm kinda hoping Robertson gets around to doing the M3. I heard Vonk and Slatkin do it, years ago. But I think I've learned to most about the Third in the years since then.

Barry, let's hope it's not a 4/9. I find it harder to concentrate at live concerts. I think about how I should relax, but how I'm paying a babysitter; I'll nitpick that the brass should've been more forceful, etc.  I sometimes I wish I was hearing it live for the first time, when I was a lot less critical.

Offline Don

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 12:06:51 PM »
I am actually coming in from Kansas City, a 4 hr drive. Spending the weekend in St Louis visiting some friends and family too along with the M2.

KC Symphony is doing M2 this fall as part of the opening of the new Kauffman PAC. Later on in the season they are doing the "Blumine" movement as a separate piece. In the last 2-3 years we have had M1, 4, 5 and 10 Adagio
M10 Fanatic!

Offline sbugala

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 05:15:43 AM »
I'm pleased to say that it was an awesome concert, with very few things to quibble about, at all.  Barber's Prayers of Kierkegaard was a nice work I didn't really know at all, but I'm inclined to give it more chances.

The Mahler 2nd was a success, and was the clearly the best one I've heard in concert, thus far. When Robertson last tackled it in 2004, I thought things were a little tame, except for a couple noteworthy exceptions.  This time, things were superb, and well-prepared.  There were a lot of students in attendance, and I have to praise them for being good listeners. (No cell phones going off, loud talking, etc.) One can only wonder what some of them thought of Mahler.

I suppose as a brass player, I tend to pay more attention to the brass section, but I walked away thinking the percussion carried the night. They did a great job.

The second movement was marred only by an ambulance siren going down Grand Blvd, the street that runs in front of Powell Hall. Sometimes life and death intervene when symphonies on life and death are happening.  I felt second off-stage brass episode could've been a little better (things felt a little off), but nothing terrible.  

The Mahler started around 8:50 and ended around 10:10. I got to see forum member, Don, who I hadn't seen since Skrowaczewski did Bruckner's 8th here a few years ago.  He'll have plenty to say more eloquently than I can, I think.  I taped it off the radio, and I look forward to giving it a listen, although I gotta watch the volume this late.   ;)

So Barry, I'm pleased to say it was no where close to a 4/9. For an almost "live" shy Mahlerite, I can proudly proclaim it a 9.5.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 05:32:24 AM »
I'm glad it was a 9.4 instead of a 4/9!

Offline Don

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 12:17:05 PM »
Incredible Urlicht and Finale, 9 out of 10 from me. More when I get home, this phone posting is too complicated.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:48:02 PM by Don »
M10 Fanatic!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk