Author Topic: Sibelius Symphonies  (Read 6572 times)

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
Sibelius Symphonies
« on: December 10, 2008, 07:11:58 PM »
Apologies if this is off-topic, but I am looking for a complete set of these. Excellent SQ is as important as performance.

I have been considering Vanska (BIS) and Segerstam (Ondine), but have not heard them.

Suggestions and recommendations are appreciated!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 09:40:57 PM by merlin »

Offline akiralx

Re: Sibelius Symphonies
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 08:30:18 AM »
Apologies if this is off-topic, but I am looking for a complete set of these. Excellent SQ is as important as performance.

I have been considering Vanska (BIS) and Segerstam (Ondine), but have not heard them.

Suggestions and recommendations are appreciated!

If you want a set by one conductor, then I think you've chosen the best two.  I have some of both sets and like them a lot.  Vanska perhaps overdoes the glacially slow Adagio of #4. 

The only other three I might throw in are:

- the old VPO/Maazel set at budget price (though I don't liike this set as much as others do);

- the Kamu/Karajan DG Trio (obviously not one conductor), where HvK's famous 1960s recordings of 4-7 are married to Okku Kamu's 1-3 (only #2 is a little ordinary).  I'm not as keen on Karajan's 4-7 as I once was, but his 5 and 7 are still superb;

- the Jarvi DG cycle on SACD, especially if you can play the SACD layer.  This set is actually brilliant, especially 3-7.  The snags are the fine but unremarkable 1 and 2.

I haven't heard Colin Davis' LSO SACD set.

Offline david johnson

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 10:12:26 AM »
berglund and helsinki (emi box) are great.
brilliant classics has a fine box with sanderling and one of the berlin orchestras.
the naxos white box with sakari/iceland should also be good.  i do not have it, but i enjoy my sibelius tone poem cd with the same forces.

dj

Offline Don

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 04:34:10 PM »
I am a fan of the old Colin Davis Boston set, although it seems to have fallen out of favor among some Sibelius fans. Vanska is good as is the Sanderling/Brilliant classics set mentioned. Some of these are not demonstration quality sound, but fine performances.
M10 Fanatic!

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 04:48:50 PM »
I have a several of the cycles mentioned, but my two favorites are Segerstam (Ondine) and Bernstein (Sony).  I am underwhlemed by Vanska in general, so if you enjoy other of his recordings, you should weigh my opinion accordingly.  I should also point out that I am much more of a fan of the outer symphonies (1,2,6,7), while I really have not spent much time on the middles ones (3-5). 
Scott

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 05:49:47 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions -- much appreciated!

I have a fair number of Vanska conductiing the Aho symphonies and such, which are fantastic both musically and sonically.

Berglund got high marks for performance from Deryck Cooke, but low grades for SQ.

Some folks have complained about Segerstam's slow tempos. 

Ondine and BIS probably have the best SQ of all the sets.

So what's a poor boy to do....

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 06:00:35 PM »
Don't forget the legends and tone poems. In my opinion, in the case of Sibelius, I think they're better than the symphonies. Just one person's opinion.

Barry

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 06:22:38 PM »
OK, Barry.  Any recommendations for both pieces and recordings?

Thanks!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 07:11:03 PM »
I'll recommend four right off the bat.

1. EMI "Germini" series 2-cd "twofer" (094639768929) which includes the following, all conducted by Paavo Berglund:  Luonnotar (fabulous!); Pohjola's Daughter; En Saga; King Christan; The Bard; Spring Song; Swan of Tuonela; Lemminkainen's return; Pelleas & Melisande; Kuolema; White Song.

2. EMI "Encore" series (budget price) of the complete "Lemminkainen Suite" (Ormandy/Philly) and "Tapiola" (Berglund/Helsinki). The bar code is 094638867920.

3. Kullervo symphony on Telarc with Robert Spano/Atlanta S.O. (089408066528)

4. "Scenes Historiques" I & II, plus "King Christian II Suite" on Naxos. Pietar Inkinen/New Zealand S.O. Naxos 747313006878

I've left out the "Oceanides". You should get something that has that as well. I believe that there's a Neemi Jarvi set on DG that has ALL of the tone poems. It wouldn't have the Kullervo symphony, however.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:14:09 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline vvrinc

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 03:40:20 AM »
If you like Sibelius/Segerstam (I certainly admire his Mahler), I strongly recommend you hunt down the Chandos set he did. In my opinion, the Ondine (Helsinki) is good, the Chandos (Danish National) is great. There is also a CD of some of the Poems, also on Chandos. Over my system, I like the sound of the Chandos better aswell.

I feel that the Maazel/Vienna made the trip to CD quite well and still pleases after all these years. The Pittsburgh set he recorded for Sony can't compare performance-wise.

Bernstein’s 5 & 7 with Vienna (DGG) are great performances in excellent sound (the last movement of the 5th is magical). Mr. Bernstein keeps his bullshit to a minimum here as he couldn’t quite manage to do with the 1st and 2nd Symphonies with the same forces (I happen to like HIS bullshit, though. Quite a bit!). His NYP set is also very desirable but, unfortunately, the sound of some of the recordings is vintage CBS ”gee, I’ll hang the mikes and start the recorder, but I’d rather be doing (derive your own meaning) Dolly Parton.”

The Ashkenazy set is not without interest—and has good sonics. The 1st, 6th and 7th stand out.

Alexander Gibson—on Chandos—has an excellent set that is often bypassed when considering Sibelius symphonies. Good sound. The Scottish orchestra plays with distinction if not the ultimate degree of polish.

Vanska/Lahti are in wonderful sound, but can't compete with the raw energy and mystery of Bernstein, Karajan (EMI), Ormandy, Maazel (Decca) and Davis (Philips). However, no one, again, no one, does the last movement of the first symphopny like the Lahti lads! Their first symphony, as a whole, is probable their finest account in the canon. Unfortunately, their 2nd, 5th and 7th are downright dull. The 3rd is ok—but then, who can really screw up the 3rd—the 4th and 6th are good.

Berglund, well,...

The mono Ehrling is a fantastic set! But then, if I want something in mono, I’ll speak to my wife.

Jarvi is, perhaps, the best conductor an orchestra can employ if sightreading at a recording session. Has he really recorded ANYTHING that doesn’t sound like a competent run-through?

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 06:13:41 AM »
I'd add Karajan/BPO/DG 4th-7th and Segerstam/HPO/Ondine Kullervo Symphony (SACD) which is truly a magnificent recording by all standards.

John,

Offline akiralx

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 10:28:39 AM »
I'll recommend four right off the bat.

1. EMI "Germini" series 2-cd "twofer" (094639768929) which includes the following, all conducted by Paavo Berglund:  Luonnotar (fabulous!); Pohjola's Daughter; En Saga; King Christan; The Bard; Spring Song; Swan of Tuonela; Lemminkainen's return; Pelleas & Melisande; Kuolema; White Song.

I've left out the "Oceanides". You should get something that has that as well. I believe that there's a Neemi Jarvi set on DG that has ALL of the tone poems. It wouldn't have the Kullervo symphony, however.

One set to keep an eye open for (though it seems rare as hens teeth - check amazon.fr) is a DG French twofer, called Splendeurs du Nord, which as well as Karajan's fine analogue Grieg and Sibelius tone poems etc has Okku Kamu's outstanding Helsinki Radio SO recording of the Lemminkainen Legends op.22.  One of the great Sibelius recordings.

Rattle's CBSO EMI version of the Oceanides is great.  The DG Trio of Jarvi's tone poems as mentioned by Barry above is excellent, including a magical King Christian suite and Karelia Suite.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 10:33:06 AM by akiralx »

Offline Jules

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »
Barbirolli was one of the champions of Sibelius of his time, and I still appreciate his EMI recordings; probably not intended as a cycle, because they spread over many years. But I find that his intuitive way of approaching this music highlights many aspects that are not so evident in other conductors' recordings. Probably he did not show the same degree of mastering the composer's personal language as others (in particular, his countryman Sir Colin Davis) and therefore you have the feeling that there is more Barbirolli than Sibelius in there. Anyway, in my opinion, a name that deserves to be mentioned when speaking of Sibelius interpretation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk