Author Topic: Shostakovich/Ormandy/Sony 4th + 10th - OT  (Read 5629 times)

Offline John Kim

Shostakovich/Ormandy/Sony 4th + 10th - OT
« on: February 23, 2007, 07:13:31 AM »
This two discs box set is out of print. Does anyone have it? I own and enjoy Myung-Whun Chung's tremendous recording of Shostakovich 4th symphony with the same Philadelphia Orch. but am told that the Ormandy is even better. My the other favorite is Slatkin's RCA recording which is very different than the Chung in much slower tempo and more meditative mood. But for sheer brilliance of sound and orchestral execution, it's hard to beat Chung's. This is probably the greatest of all Shostakovich symphonies and therefore I'd die to hear the Ormandy's edition. If any of you owns the CD PL let me know in private.

Thanks.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Shostakovich/Ormandy/Sony 4th + 10th - OT
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 07:43:09 AM »
John,

I wish I did own it. But I have lots of Shosty 4th's already. My favorite is probably the Rostroprovich one on Teldec. Previn did a very good one with the CSO for EMI. The Jansons/BRSO is surprisingly very good - far better than the wierdly conducted Gergiev one.  Great piece.

Barry
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 08:23:23 AM by barry guerrero »

BorisG

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 08:09:31 AM »
This two discs box set is out of print. Does anyone have it? I own and enjoy Myung-Whun Chung's tremendous recording of Shostakovich 4th symphony with the same Philadelphia Orch. but am told that the Ormandy is even better. My the other favorite is Slatkin's RCA recording which is very different than the Chung in much slower tempo and more meditative mood. But for sheer brilliance of sound and orchestral execution, it's hard to beat Chung's. This is probably the greatest of all Shostakovich symphonies and therefore I'd die to hear the Ormandy's edition. If any of you owns the CD PL let me know in private.

Thanks.

John,

Why these? Have you not heard Rozhdestvensky?

Offline david johnson

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 12:04:20 PM »
i still have that lp.

dj

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 05:35:21 PM »
Thanks for your replies. The Ormandy CD is highly sought after on ebay and amazon.com. I may search for the Previn/EMI or Rattle/EMI instead until Sony decides to reissue it. BTW, Ormandy's SH 15th has been reissued on SACD by RCA. SH 15th is another great symphony that has a close tie with the 4th symphony. Shostakovich is often criticized for lack of originality and excess of rhetoric but these symphonies will shake off that kind of perception (or conception). Great pieces indeed.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 06:47:01 PM »
The Rozhdestvensky S4 is obviously a really fine performance, but I could never quite get over the sound quality of that particular series. If I was going to stick with an older Russian, I'd probably go with Kondrashin, who I've always liked. I have the Barshai series from Brilliant Classics, and that seems pretty darn good too. So, at this moment, I have Rostroprovich (Teldec); Jansons/BRSO; Previn/CSO, and Barshai. That's a pretty good line-up. Simon Rattle's is actually quite good also; although it's gone out of print.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk