Author Topic: my next full-price CD purchase will be . . .  (Read 7934 times)

Offline barry guerrero

my next full-price CD purchase will be . . .
« on: January 31, 2016, 10:14:28 AM »
Scroll down to the 6 cd box set of RCA Victor recordings of Morton Gould conducting the Chicago S.O.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/newreleases.php?&page=8

Offline James Meckley

Re: my next full-price CD purchase will be . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 05:57:01 PM »
This CSO box—along with the earlier set featuring Jean Martinon—is a real treasure. I've had it on pre-order since it was first announced and look forward to having new masterings of the Ives and Nielsen in particular, despite Benny Goodman's participation in the clarinet concerto.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 07:29:20 PM »
Yes - get both! Gould was a great treasure that too many people ignored until he was gone. I'll get this set - and meanwhile lament that it only contains his Chicago recordings. There are some fine recordings made with "His Symphony Orchestra", like a stellar Grand Canyon Suite, more Copland, and Gould's Fall River Legend. Some has been released on Living Stereo, but it sure would be nice to have everything he recorded for RCA or Sony available in one set. BTW - if you've never read the Gould biography, you should. Quite an amazing musician.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 06:33:03 PM »
I'm wanting to hear what does with Rimsky's "Antar" in that box!

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 09:08:50 PM »
I bought the LP with Antar when it came out because it had Antar - at that time kind of a rare item. Lo and behold, it was the Miaskovsky that was the real treasure. Both works are given superb performances from orchestra and conductor. The Antar is still among the best ever. The Miaskovsky is by far the best version available, not that it has that much competition.

Offline damianjb1

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 01:06:53 AM »
Michael Tilson Thomas conducting the 4th Symphony.
I've done a bit of reading and this comes highly recommended by several sources.
I'd be very interested to hear what experienced Mahlerians think?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 08:25:29 AM »
Thumbs down.  Way too slow overall, and Laura Claycomb sings her dotted eighth/sixteenth note figures as triplets. I HATE that. If you're going to spend that much for an M4 recording, get the Ivan Fischer on Channel Classics.

Not only do I not like the MTT/SFS cycle from a musical standpoint, I really don't think it's all that well recorded either. I think the SFS did far better when they were under the supervision of RCA and - previously - Decca.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 08:28:30 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline damianjb1

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 08:38:29 AM »
Thanks for that - much appreciated.
What recordings of the 4th would you recommend (besides the Fisher recording)?

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 07:38:11 PM »
My essential Mahler 4s (in no particular order)

1. Paul Kletzki
2. Fritz Reiner
3. Lorin Maazel (Sony)
4. Ivan Fischer
5. Andre Previn (good luck finding a cd)
6. Dohnanyi
7. Kubelik (DG)

The 4th does not lack from fine recordings.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 04:56:42 AM »
I think choosing a light voiced soprano who can pass for a boy - sort of - is one of the criteria you should look for. Miah Persson is perfect on the Ivan Fischer. Editia Gruberova is quite good on the Sinopoli/DG M4. Ruth Ziesack is really good on the Danielle Gatti/Royal Phil. M4 (Conifer). Frederica von Stade has made two recoridngs of M4, and she's quite good on both of them:  Abbado/VPO (DG) and Yoel Levi/Atlanta S.O. (Telarc). By the way, the Levi/Telarc recording is a very good all-around Mahler 4 and comes with the "Songs of a Wayfarer", also sung by von Stade. It's also very inexpensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphony-No-Songs-Wayfarer/dp/B00000JCIP/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1454993861&sr=1-1&keywords=mahler+4+yoel+levi+telarc

Elly Ameling has made two recordings also, and she's quite good on both of them: Haitink/Concertgebouw (his first one) and Previn/Pittsburgh S.O. (EMI).

These things are greatly a matter of taste, but I'm afraid I'm not crazy about Lisa della Casa on the Fritz Reinier (slightly too operatic); Dawn Upshaw on the Dohnanyi (she's too 'cutesy' with it), or the 'pipey' sounding Kathleen Battle on the highly touted Maazel/VPO (Sony) recording.

Another really excellent M4 recording is, I'm afraid, both expensive and difficult to find: Z. Macal/Czech Phil./M. Kaune (sop)/Exton (Japanese label).

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/4391

Whatever you do, AVOID Rene Fleming on Abbado's Berlin Phil. remake. She's fine on the Alban Berg songs, but is awful in Mahler 4.

For me, many M4's are ruined by the choice of soprano in the fourth movement. A prime example is the Litton/Dallas S.O. M4 on Delos - which is excellent in the first three movements - but is ruined in the finale by Heidi Grant Murphy.

I wasn't crazy about the Mahler remakes that Haitink made in Berlin (Philips), but Sylvia McNair does a very good job on M4 from that series. As expected, Haitink was just a tad stodgy on that one. But he's surprisingly quite sprite-ly in his LAST M4 on the Concertgebouw's own label (RCO Live), and it features a very good soprano performance from Christine Schaefer. This one is a 'sleeper' (and I'm no great lover of Haitink).

http://www.amazon.com/Symphony-4-G-Mahler/dp/B000TKODEK

Of older vintage recordings Elsi Morison is pretty good on the Kubelik (DG); Natalia Davrath is quite good on the Abravael/Utah S.O. M4 (Vangaurd), and Reri Grist is excellent on the old Bernstein/N.Y./Columbia (Sony) M4. Edith Mathis is a tad matronly, but quite good on the Karajan. She also appears on the Bernstein/V.P.O. dvd of M4, which is coupled to decent performances of M5 and M6.

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphonies-Leonard-Bernstein-Philharmoniker/dp/B000AC5BES/ref=pd_sim_74_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=517UcFmOfLL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR120%2C160_&refRID=1W3Z0A6KAC236Q221JWB

And if you actually want to hear a true 'boy treble' sing the part, Bernstein employed one on his Concertgebouw re-make on DG.

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphony-No-Helmut-Wittek/dp/B000001G9E/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1454994402&sr=1-2&keywords=mahler+4+bernstein+deutsche+grammophon

It's interesting, but a boy does struggle with the 'gymnastics' of Mahler's writing.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:08:53 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline damianjb1

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 08:59:02 AM »
Thank you so much your suggestions. I found the Abbado recording with Von Stade on E-bay for $13 so I'll start with that one. I really appreciate your advice barry guerrero and AZContrabassoon.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 11:10:56 AM »
I'm not a huge Abbado fan, but I prefer this Vienna M4 to the Maazel. That's probably going against popular opinion.

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 12:16:11 PM »
Should also mention that if you want something really odd, the Kondrashin recording has the last movement sung in Russian, then followed by a German version. Kondrashin's Mahler is not to all tastes.

Offline waderice

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 12:45:46 PM »
Benjamin Zander's out-of-print Telarc recording employs a boy soprano, whose name I don't have at my fingertips.

Wade

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 01:56:57 PM »
Benjamin Zander's out-of-print Telarc recording employs a boy soprano, whose name I don't have at my fingertips.

Ben Zander's Telarc recording features soprano Camilla Trilling in the last movement, a female by all appearances. So far as I know, the only commercial recordings featuring boy sopranos are Bernstein/Amsterdam (Helmut Wittek) and Nanut/Ljubljana (Max Emanuel Cencic). Though Mr. Wittek was a bit out of his element, Mr. Cencic went on to have a significant career as a countertenor.

The violin solos in the Bernstein recording were played by none other than Jaap van Zweden, concertmaster in Amsterdam at the time (June 1987).

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk