Author Topic: Abbado Lucerne/M9  (Read 5122 times)

Offline Clov

Abbado Lucerne/M9
« on: September 01, 2012, 01:49:21 PM »
I had to get this. One of the reviewers at Amazon mentioned the fading light effect in the finale of Abbado's prior dvd M9 as a cheap trick or gimmick, this made me hestate and go for the Lucerne. I love the Lucerne version, even though it is definitely an old topic by now. I'm glad to hear about how consistent the whole Lucerne symphony collection is. What struck me most was Abbado genuine and pure smile and obvious contentment throughout. I noticed it especially at the end of the 3rd movement. I'd had a Wand Bruckner 9th video and thought Wand snootiness a big turn-off, but then again he was probably just 'playing the part'. Another striking note about the Lucerne M9 is the slow pace of the finale, somehow it flows better than I've ever heard it before. I much like the finale of the M9, a sort of comparable output by R. Strauss would be the Methamorphosen I suppose. But unlike Metamorphosen, Mahler's finale isn't hard to follow and its scheme is blatant despite all the counterpunctual and harmonic complications arrising. With the Metamorphosen it is excruciatingly hard to follow without emotional commitment and it is often the case with R. Strauss anyways that is musical ideas and developements are quickly shifting and highly dynamic. In other words, even if you simply can't commit completely in an emotional sense to Mahler finale, it is still an easily understandable development and progression dispite this.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 02:31:12 PM by Clov »
'A man of means by no means.' - Roger Miller

Offline Clov

Re: Abbado Lucerne/M9
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 02:17:18 PM »
Yesterday I received my Abbado/M5 dvd order in the mail. The Rondo-Finale is excellent, I'd never seem an orchestra performing the work. Early in the movement I was fiddling around with the remote control and switched it to 5.1, even though I only have a 2.0 system set up on the tv, it was not only loader but far far richer and clearer sounding. Wow, very good to know!
'A man of means by no means.' - Roger Miller

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk