Author Topic: Complete Mahler symphonies performance announced in London, V.Gergiev conducting  (Read 4907 times)

C. Songeur

Valery Gergiev has been appointed Chief Conductor and Artistic Director of the London Symphony Orchestra this season,   and the 2007-2008 season already is mentionned as something special for the whole London:   All of Mahler's symphonies are to be performed during that single season!
24 Sept, Barbican Hall:  Symph. No. 3.
22 Nov, Barbican Hall:  Symph. No. 6.
12 Jan, Barbican Hall:  Symph. No. 4.
13 Jan, Barbican Hall:  Symph. No. 1.
06 March, Barbican Hall:  Symph. No. 5.
07 March, Barbican Hall:  Symph. No. 7.
20 & 21 April, Barbican Hall:  Symph. No. 2.
05 June, Barbican Hall:  Symph. No. 9 & Adagio from No. 10.
30 June, saint Paul's Cathedral (for the 'City of London Festival'):  Symph. No. 8.
The 1st & 5th Symphonies by Mahler are to be frequently performed by the London Symphony Orchestra during this season and the next one.   D.Harding will conduct the Fifth during the orchestra's tour in the Far East next summer.
They'll get to know their Mahler at the L.S.O.!

Wunderhorn

I wonder If Gregiev will record some Mahler symphonies, I had his Symphonie Fanastique by Berlioz with Wiener and I loved it, especially the last two movements. I've seen recent photos of Gregiev where he looks very old; I've also seen recent photos were he looks very young. I'm not even sure his actual age. He always looks menacing similarly as Karajan. His Shostakovitch boxset will probably end up the best critically since Rostrapovitch's way back when.

Offline Amphissa

I find Gergiev to be wildly erratic. His Prokofiev is excellent. His Tchaikovsky is variable, but to me not so good. His Rachmaninoff and Rimsky-Korsakov are truly dreadful. I've not yet heard any of his Shostakovich.

Gergiev was born in 1953, so he is 53 years old. He maintains a non-stop schedule racing from city to city to conduct, rarely having more than one rehearsal for any given concert. There was an article about him in the recent BBC Music magazine. If he appears tired, that schedule is the reason, and one must wonder how long he can keep it up.

I'll be curious to hear his approach to Mahler. The only Mahler symphony that I'm aware of him conducting in concert is the 7th, which he did with the Rotterdam. His could be the most inspiring interpretation ever, or the most idiotic, but I don't think it will be just another one like all the other ones.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 05:11:17 AM by Amphissa »
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Offline barry guerrero

Agreed. Even in Shostakovich, he's sort of all over the map. His 4th is just awful - something you'd think he'd do really well. I think his Kirov "Rite Of Spring" is hugely over-rated.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk