Author Topic: Levine's M6  (Read 4754 times)

Offline chris

Levine's M6
« on: March 02, 2007, 06:11:34 PM »
I've been looking for some info about this one and can't find much...anyone who's heard it, opinions or descriptions would be welcome.   Thanks.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Levine's M6
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 07:07:06 PM »
It's a very exciting, over the top performance. However, the sound isn't nearly as good as it is on the LSO M6 recording with Harold Farberman on Vox Box. The RCA sound actually distorts in a few spots. Levine overplays the big tam-tam stroke near the end of the scherzo movement. It's only marked forte, but Levine plays it as a full fortissimo. That's OK, I guess, but it really sticks out, and it distorts on the recording (splashy sounding Paiste gong). Cowbells and hammer strokes are nothing to write home about. But as usual, the LSO horn section has a field day. I don't think that the sixth symphony is a piece that the LSO sounds all that correct for. Of the several recordings that they've made of it, I like the Farberman best.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 10:35:13 PM »
Thanks for the review.  I was wondering how this sounded, as there is a copy in a used record store nearby my house.  I'll get it eventually, but I'll wait a little longer.

Offline bluesbreaker

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 12:40:55 AM »
It's pretty easy to find here in Asia I supposse. I can find it everywhere (I live in Taiwan) and it's coupled with M1.
Under The Dark Side Of The Glass Moon

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 07:41:40 AM »
I like it a lot! It used to be my no. 1 favorite for quite some time but eventually it passed its crown over to Levi/ASO, Tennstedt/LPO, Bernstein/NYPO. I found the hammer strokes quite powerful and realistic. Only the Andante movt. disappoints a bit lacking that final degree of lyricism.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk