Author Topic: Abravanel/USO/Vanguard Mahler cycle  (Read 4480 times)

Offline John Kim

Abravanel/USO/Vanguard Mahler cycle
« on: April 10, 2008, 04:11:31 AM »
There is an on going discussion on the List of world's first stereo cycle of Mahler Symphonies on records by Abravanel/Utah Symphony Orch./Vanguard. I only heard the M2nd and thought it was pretty good. Can you give me any comments on this cycle?

Thanks.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Abravanel/USO/Vanguard Mahler cycle
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 02:07:20 PM »
Aside from the 2nd with Bev. Sills, the 4th and 8th are particularly good. You can get an HDCD (I think that's what it is) of the Abravanel 8th. The rest aren't really all that special. The M1 lacks an expo. repeat.

Barry

Offline Eric Nagamine

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 08:41:22 AM »
Aside from the 2nd with Bev. Sills, the 4th and 8th are particularly good. You can get an HDCD (I think that's what it is) of the Abravanel 8th. The rest aren't really all that special. The M1 lacks an expo. repeat.

Barry

Barry,

What label is the HDCD of the 8th on? Classic? Didn't see anything on Arkiv.

I really like the abravanel 3rd in addition to the 8th. There's some wonderful playing by the Utah Symphony. Somehow Abravanel  managed to get some great principals for that band. The post horn solo is a favorite of mine and Krookos does a wonderful "sehr langsam" with the strings and horns of the band. The Silverline Dualdisc/DVD-audio has some wonderful sound. IIRC, Joe Alessi's dad plays the bone solo in the first movement.

--------
Eric Nagamine

Offline MichaelO

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 03:07:32 PM »
Hi.

I think BG meant HDAD http://www.classicrecords.com/item.cfm?item=HDAD%202001. I haven't heard this one.  The only Mahler by MA I have heard is the 4th.  Many praise this reading to the hills, but I for one think it stinks.  Grating thin sounding strings, squacky oboes, effortfull sounding flute etc.  I even find the singer's interpretation a bit mannered. Too many good ones out there to waste shelve space with this one.

Michael

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 04:51:38 PM »
Yes, that's precisely what I was trying to conjure up. Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk