Author Topic: L.A. Times Review of Salonen/LAPO/M8 at Hollywood Bowl  (Read 4069 times)

Offline mike bosworth

L.A. Times Review of Salonen/LAPO/M8 at Hollywood Bowl
« on: September 12, 2008, 09:25:58 AM »
FYI:

http://tinyurl.com/4vag4w

Mike Bosworth
Hanoi

Polarius T

Re: L.A. Times Review of Salonen/LAPO/M8 at Hollywood Bowl
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 10:31:04 AM »
"No other sane symphonic work strives to be grander in sound, scope, ambition or exaltation of the unknown."

Well, there is always Scriabin's "Mysterium," which was to last one week and bring about the end of the world. The prelude of this magnum opus has been reconstructed and recorded, too, lasting no longer than three hours:

But I doubt it's the same without the smells and on this side of the Himalayas where it was to be performed.

Right; the reviewer said "sane."  :)

-PT

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 10:54:01 AM by Polarius T »

Offline Dave H

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 01:07:17 PM »
Two hours and forty minutes, actually, in this recording. The set also contains "Nuances," a ballet arranged by Nemtin from Scriabin piano works that takes an extra half an hour. It's well worth a listen. If you don't like late Scriabin (and I can easily understand anyone who doesn't) the ballet is still very enjoyable.

Dave H

Polarius T

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 06:07:18 PM »
Excellent spotting job, Dave; surely that will make or break someone's planned purchase in this case. But please note that I also rounded up the duration of the entire opus. In actual reality the "Mysterium" has  never been done past the 6 day 23 hr 40 min mark (not a second longer), I should have said up front.

Or you have evidence to the contrary?

:)

-pt
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 06:09:22 PM by Polarius T »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk