Author Topic: Any concert reports - anyone?  (Read 3795 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Any concert reports - anyone?
« on: December 22, 2014, 03:23:34 AM »
We need Mahlerian Christmas cheer.

Offline waderice

Re: Any concert reports - anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 07:45:02 PM »
Barry,

I heard the Philadelphia Orchestra in a live performance of M2 back in early November, and it is supposed to be broadcast this coming Sunday afternoon on Philadelphia's Public Radio Station, WRTI.  Do you get the Philadelphia Orchestra broadcasts in the Bay Area?  If you do, you should be able to hear their latest performance of it sometime soon, and you can hear for yourself, music director Yannick Nézet-Séguin's approach to the work.  The link below can tell you what performers were involved:

http://wrti.org/post/philadelphians-concert-wrti-mahlers-second-symphony-dec-28th-1-pm

If you don't get the Philadelphians in the Bay Area, let me know, and I'll give you my own synopsis of how I felt the performance went.

Wade

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 08:35:53 PM »
It would appear, by clicking the "listen live" button on WRTI's Website, that one can listen to any of their programming—including this Mahler 2 presentation—over the Internet as it's broadcast. No local radio syndication necessary.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline waderice

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 08:39:38 PM »
First, thank you James, for letting us know that anyone anywhere in the world could listen to the delayed broadcast of this M2 performance at the appointed time given - 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time today, Dec. 28th (which I did).  The capability to do that was most obvious!

I must admit that at the time I went to see/hear this symphony performed live by a vastly superior ensemble than what I had heard previously, I was so taken by the event that I came out so emotionally drained that I could remember little detail of what I had just heard.  But now that the excitement has had a month and a half to subside, I listened to the delayed broadcast and can say that besides exceptional playing, Sarah Connolly sounded great in the Urlicht, and that the true excitement was in the finale.  Nezet-Seguin made the finale all that more effective in his accelerandi and ritardandi at various points in the Dies Irae sequence.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a score at hand to detail what sections these occurred.

If anyone had the opportunity to hear this delayed broadcast, it'd be good to see your comments.

Wade

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk