General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

DH gives 10/10 to Haitink/CSO/CSO-Resound Bruckner 7th (OOT)

(1/3) > >>

John Kim:
"This is only Haitink's third(!) recording of this symphony. Happily, he never remade it with the Vienna Philharmonic, having recorded it twice with the Concertgebouw. His first recording, the one that always has been reissued in the complete symphonies box and also as a Philips Duo, is a swift, somewhat pallid performance, shallowly recorded to boot. The later one, from 1978, just missed the digital era but remains one of the great performances. Not surprisingly it has been ignored by Philips in favor of its inferior predecessor. One of the most noteworthy qualities of that performance was the climax of the Adagio (with a resplendent cymbal crash), so perfectly timed that I never imagined I'd hear it repeated. Haitink does it again here.

In fact, this live performance is every bit as stunningly played as its 1978 predecessor. The tempos are just a hair more measured in the first movement and finale, but always supple, fluid, and perfectly judged between sections (and certainly not slow by today's standards). The transition from the second to third subjects in the first movement offers one example, and the continuation of the Adagio's main theme (after the "non confundar" motive from Bruckner's Te Deum) provides another. This being Chicago, the brass sound spectacular, but so do the strings and winds. In short, there is absolutely nothing here to criticize. When the results are this outstanding, it's pointless to complain that Haitink keeps recording the same music over and over. In the final analysis, a great performance must be its own justification, and this is a great performance. Happily, the sonics allow the music to leap from the speakers with the same vibrancy and impact as the interpretation itself, and the audience is very silent. Wonderful!"

I have never heard Haitink's B7ths so it's surprising to read DH's rave review after his lukewarm reaction to Haitink's M3rd with the same orchestra. My favorites remain with Bohm/VPO/DG, Karajan/VPO/DG, and Maazel/BPO/EMI, but this new recording may be worth looking for.

John,

akiralx:

I really wanted to  like this but most reviews have been lukewarm so I haven't got it. 

DH is right that the 1978 Concertgebouw version is great, as is the VPO/Karajan one, probably HvK's best Bruckner.

barry guerrero:
I have it, and don't think it's anything particularly special at all. I prefer the Barenboim with the same orchestra: CSO.

Barry

Ben:
I've been listening to this lately and I quite like it.  The orchestra plays superbly and I'm not bored by Haitink's conducting.  It's a well conceived performance and expertly crafted, IMO.  There are quite a few personal touches I like, but would maybe keep me from listening on a regular basis.  Perhaps it's more of an event than a regular recording.  I guess it was recorded 'live' though.

I like the Barenboim/CSO as well, but I think the Haitink is a little more refined and keeps the CSO within some boundaries.  The brass are great on the Haitink, but never over do it as they could on the Barenboim (not that I really mind).

I'll probably pick up the SACD version eventually.

Ben

akiralx:

I ended up getting the Haitink and it isn't anything special, but well played.  The orchestra though just don't seem to have the sonority or plain heft for Bruckner.  I've already culled it to be honest. 

I've got the Osaka/Asahina B2 SACD coming soon, will be interesting - I've got Asahina in M6 but don't really like it though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version