Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions / Re: Vanska/MO/BIS M3rd SACD is pricey!
« Last post by John Kim on May 02, 2024, 10:10:16 PM »
To me, the M3, M7, M10 are standouts of the Vanska Mahler cycle, followed by M9, M6 (with a reservation on Finale), M8 and M4.

John
« Last post by John Kim on May 02, 2024, 09:42:14 PM »
Erik

I think Vanska's M4th is very fine. It's just that there are some moments that don't sound too engaging. As for the 8th I know it received excellent critical reviews and I agree with most of them as far as the musicality goes. But for my money and taste, I'd stay with Bernsetin/LSO, Neumann/CPO, and Bertini, Zinman. I just think Vanska rushed the final pages of Part II. and that, no matter how well the performance went up to the point, almost ruins my listening.

John
John, I'm interested in your thoughts on the Vanska M4 and M8. I thought those were some of the stronger releases in this cycle.
« Last post by John Kim on May 02, 2024, 05:49:09 PM »
I am not interested in getting the M1, M4, or M8th for that matter. I'll just get the Third and be done with it.

Maybe the Third is meant to be a platinum release. Maybe it comes with delux booklet, photos, etc^

John
The frugal may be rewarded by patience. Once the box set has been out for a while, BIS will probably run discounts. They were selling the excellent Vänskä/Minnesota Beethoven symphony set for $30 not long after it was issued.
« Last post by waderice on May 02, 2024, 12:36:32 PM »
Well Barry, I just put in my order at Amazon for the complete Vanska symphonies, and including tax, cost came to $95.39 (I belong to Amazon Prime).  Have been waiting a long time for this and can hardly wait to get my set!

Wade
Good grief - buying the Vanksa M3 from Amazon is almost half the cost of buying the complete cycle, as Amazon is showing a preorder price of $43. I have a feeling that's going to get corrected. I noticed Presto Classical has repriced their hard disc release of it to $30.25 (U.S.).

https://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphony-No-Minnesota-Boychoir/dp/B0D2KRFRG4/ref=sr_1_36?crid=AVIQ8DSLPC6B&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.2tXE09FnvL1LR1T7uLOcCPrknmgdXR917Uwjfe9Q3mKtyQsRVtqL3Axs0RTv_1K_EDOcAmJ22E5Uy9TJGSaimw.iO4fUPpdlTfipnIb8zhchHIL_rW5Ou1xBWJ71w2Qgb4&dib_tag=se&keywords=mahler+symphony+no.+3&qid=1714626924&s=music&sprefix=mahler+symphony+no.+3%2Cpopular%2C169&sr=1-36

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9622893--mahler-symphony-no-3-in-d-minor?_gl=1*1mnbypk*_up*MQ..&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0MexBhD3ARIsAEI3WHLPahnvThM2PaYLdFiz4ebSfkaYtU6fdtSDi9s8mzMPbL5TMaNEG20aAuWPEALw_wcB
I see Amazon is releasing Vanska/Minnesota's "Mahler: Symphonies Nos. 1-10" on 7 June for $90 for 11 Hybrid SACDs.
https://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphonies-Nos-Minnesota-Orchestra/dp/B0D2KQW1KW
« Last post by John Kim on April 30, 2024, 05:57:54 PM »
I have an aircheck of Vanska/MO M3rd. Its timings are almost identical to those listed on the official release, so I think I know how the SACD will sound. In short, it is a vast and profound reading spectacularly played and recorded, a far cry from Maazel who took whopping 1 hour 51 min. in his VPO performance!!

To his credit, Vanska lets the Minnesota brass roar and rumble, above all in the opening 'Pan Awakes, Summer Marches In.' The woodwinds are excellent too and very prominent throughout. The Finale clocking just under 24 min. is neither too short nor dragging and culminates very nicely in the final hymn like climax. I'll see if I can find a place where I can order it with some discount.

John
For my money, I find Rattle's new M6th recording as perfect as I can hope for or imagine. To be sure, Rattle also left a live recording of M6th with BPO a couple years ago and that too is outstanding. Perhaps BPO is tad more versatile and has an edge over BRSO in pure technical aspects, but Rattle's reading has ripened over the years. As Gramophone magazine did in a recent issue (reviewing the Rattle/BRSO M6th) I'd put this new M6th alongside Beernstin and Tenndtest as the finest recordings of the work to date.

John
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk