Author Topic: Zinman/Zurich doing M10/Carpenter in Jan. 2010  (Read 4779 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Zinman/Zurich doing M10/Carpenter in Jan. 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 08:57:36 PM »
Bravo!! :D

I am so glad Zinman decides to perform the Carpenter edition, my favorite M10th version.

Does this mean he will record it too ??? ::).

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 10:32:44 PM »
There's no mention of it being recorded at the Tonnhalle Zurich's website. However, that might not mean anything. While I welcome another recording of the Carpenter, I was hoping that we might get another recording of the Samale/Mazzuca version instead. I suspect that the M/S version could be done far better than it is on the Exton recording.

Barry

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:49:29 PM »
This is exciting news -- assuming that they'll record it as part of Zinman's cycle!  Of course, I cannot imagine ANY performance bettering the Litton one. 
Scott

Offline DWheelerKY

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 07:21:31 AM »
Why did he choose the Carpenter version? I've never read any good reviews of it. My fave is Barshai, but Cooke and Wheeler are good too.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 08:14:44 AM »
The Carpenter version takes far more liberties than the others, but it also sounds more filled out than any of them, except for maybe the Samale/Mazucca version. Carpenter brings M10 into the more overtly expressionistic sound-world of Alban Berg's "Wozzeck" and "Three Pieces For Orchestra". I find it very convincing as Mahler/Carpenter. Personally, I don't care for the Wheeler version at all, while the Barshai sounds even less idiomatic of Mahler to my ears. Just speaking for myself, I would rate either of Remo Mazzetti's two versions higher than either Wheeler or Barshai (first version: Slatkin; revised version: Lopez-Cobos). That's just me.

If nothing else, the Andrew Litton/Dallas S.O./Delos recording of the Carpenter version is incredibly well played (it's extremely difficult), and superbly recorded. That has to count for something.  
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 09:21:16 AM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk