Author Topic: M10 Petrenko/Liverpool M10 on BBC  (Read 4510 times)

Offline Don

M10 Petrenko/Liverpool M10 on BBC
« on: March 21, 2013, 01:22:06 PM »
M10 Fanatic!

Offline Don

Re: M10 Petrenko/Liverpool M10 on BBC
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »
Caught most of it, a transcendent finale. Hope he records it.
M10 Fanatic!

Offline Don

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 12:03:31 AM »
Listening to the rest of it, the inner movements not as finely done as the outer ones. The First Scherzo is a bit of a mess (but it basically is anyway). Purgatorio is fine. Second Scherzo is a bit of a mess too, but it is more of a problem than the first one anyway.

Still a fine live performance.
M10 Fanatic!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
I usually like Petrenko, but 'good grief' - did you listen to the "Purgatorio"? After a huge increase in tempo, he then makes a MASSIVE ritardando that almost brings the music to a complete halt. If you want to make huge contrasts, one ought to augment the orchestration instead (I have several ideas). 

The second scherzo is pretty good, but I don't like the ultra-slow tempo for all that string heavy, "I love you, Alma" music that comes after the reprise of the first movement's harrowing, expressionistic climax in the finale. I like how Gianandrea Noseda pushes all that music forward in his Chandos recording. It's not a redux of the finale to M9 - just the opposite, really.

All in all, still a good performance. I thought the transition from the fourth movement into the finale was very well handled.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 03:52:56 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline Don

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:46:14 PM »
I will go back and listen to the Purgatorio, you can for a few days it seems. I either missed or was not bothered by the tempo contrasts. I mostly thought it a tad slow. Maybe I was refreshing my cocktail and didn't catch it!  8)
M10 Fanatic!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 01:43:14 AM »
"Maybe I was refreshing my cocktail"

Vastly more important!   8)

Offline Don

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 09:27:09 PM »
I see what you mean Barry. The 1st part starts out in fine tempo, the center section is way too fast and the last section is a bit slow. I remarked to someone else that the Purgatorio was slow, so I must have missed part of it. Maybe I needed some ice or the dog wanted something...
M10 Fanatic!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk