Author Topic: M. Stenz/Gurzencih M3 on the way.  (Read 10714 times)

Offline barry guerrero

M. Stenz/Gurzencih M3 on the way.
« on: February 09, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »
http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/4951421

Oh baby, these timings look near ideal for me. Maybe a tad longer in the last movement might be nice. Anyway, now I have to add yet another M3 to my collection (I really like the Stenz series).

Barry

Offline ctcdaggett

Re: M. Stenz/Gurzencih M3 on the way.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 05:17:45 AM »
My copy arrived today, and great audio quality on 2-channel SACD.

bob berkman

Offline hrandall

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:24:47 PM »
Amazon U.S. has sound samples for the MP3 release on March 6th; no date for the CD yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Sympnie-Nr-3/dp/B0078VAVNU/

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 06:43:13 AM »
My copy arrived today, and great audio quality on 2-channel SACD.

bob berkman
Bob,

So, how did you like Stenz M3rd so far? ???

I am most curious about the recording....having just ordered Stenz's M2nd & M5th (both on Oehms label).

Regards,

John,

Offline Prospero

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »
Amazon now lists March 27 for disk release date.

Offline ctcdaggett

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 04:36:39 PM »
Great sound.  My copy came from Grooves (Switzerland).

bob berkman

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 05:35:01 PM »
Thanks, Bob.

I ordered Stenz M2nd and M5th last night.

Regards,

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 04:48:24 AM »
I've heard the Stenz M3, and I would give it about 8.5 stars out of 10. The scherzo and finale are terrific. Stenz really 'went' for the scherzo, as he brought out all of the humor and irony behind the strange woodwind noises, as well as from Mahler's rhythms. The offstage trumpet work is really good, if also a bit close in perspective (which I prefer to being too distant). The climax of the long brass chorale in the finale - a real 'touchstone' for me - is done superbly well, with Stenz really drawing out the trombones at the final cymbal crash.

By the way, the coda to the scherzo is also done really well, with its alternating double cymbal crashes and double tam-tam strokes (the tam-tam answering the cymbals, basically).

There are really only two things that would keep me from giving this a full 10. First, I'm a tad underwhelmed by Stenz's first movement. He takes the two long 'happy marches' (in major) a bit quicker than I would have expected from him. The trombone solo isn't terribly distinguished, and I was a tad underwhelmed by most of the 'southern storm' fantasy section that caps the development section. That said, Stenz does an outstanding job of delineating the horn parts from the trumpet ones in the final bars of the coda (usually the horns just get covered over).

The other shortcoming, for me, is that the mezzo just isn't all that great. She isn't 'bad', mind you, but neither is she all that great in comparison to the competition. Some of the 'hinaufziehen' effects from the oboe and cor anglais (English horn) sounded a tad labored to me as well. Maybe they just needed to sound a bit farther back.

All in all, I guess I'm just a tad underwhelmed because I feel so spoiled with the excellent Honeck/PSO M3, as well as a 'burn job' that I own that was taken from a hi-rez download of the Alan Gilbert/NYPO M3. Both of those are truly hard to beat.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:38:49 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »
Barry,

Thanks for your detailed report.

First, I'm a tad underwhelmed by Stenz's first movement. ---> Maybe Stenz scaled the 1st movt. down so that it gets balanced with the rest of the symphony?

Speaking of the tempo of the two marches in I., I like them to be played fast than slow. After all, they are supposed to sound like march, right?

This is why I have reservations about Abbado/BPO, Jansons/RCO, etc all of which have somewhat slow tempos in these sections.

I heard that the sound on this SACD is spectacular. What was your impression on the sound?

Regards,

John,

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 06:23:23 PM »
After listening to M3 Bernstein/DG last night, it is hard for me to imagine anything better.  And although not SACD, the SQ is superb.

Offline Prospero

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 11:22:14 PM »
I have both the regular Bernstein M3/DG issue and the Japanese mastering or issue, and it does have great sonic impact. I remember a review of the live performance in the NY Times citing a transfixed and even stunned audience.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 01:28:31 AM »
Yes, it strikes me that Stenz might think of the first movement as being something of a prelude to the rest of the symphony's narrative - that thought did cross my mind.

I prefer the 'happy' marches to be just a tad on the slower side because, A). there's so much inner detail - just like Bruckner in his quicker movements and, B). I feel that those two marches have more power and impact if they're permitted to build gradually at their own pace - without being pushed by the conductor (or by the double bass players, or the trumpets). It's a matter of preference since Mahler didn't use metronome markings.

As good as the Bernstein/NYPO/DG M3 recording is, I like the Alan Gilbert performance even better. It has much of the same visceral impact and power of the Bernstein, but without being nearly so expansive with the tempi.

One further point: most 'military' marches are frequently performed too swiftly.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 04:32:43 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 01:44:03 AM »
Barry, is the Gilbert/NYPO M3 recording available commercially?  I almost bought his M9, but there were some atrocious reviews at Amazon.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 02:42:25 AM »
...is the Gilbert/NYPO M3 recording available commercially?

I got my copy of the Gilbert/NYPO M3 from HDTracks, where it's available in both 16/44.1 and 24/96 downloads.

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=844185042383
https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD844185042383

James
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:47:51 AM by James Meckley »
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 04:36:21 AM »
"I almost bought his M9, but there were some atrocious reviews at Amazon"

I don't know if you read my Amazon review or not, but I think it's the best single disc Mahler 9 out there. And since "the best" can not be objectively measured, then that means that it's my favorite. I don't think it's even close, frankly.

Not to labor the point, but here's a link to Dave Hurwitz's 10/10 review. I'm very much in his camp on this one.

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=12455
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 04:44:57 AM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk