Author Topic: John Barbirolli´s recordings.  (Read 11040 times)

Offline sbugala

Re: John Barbirolli´s recordings.
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 03:03:09 AM »
For those in the know, how much Barbirolli is in that mega-biggie Elgar Edition set that's going for rock bottom price on Amazon?  Is he leading the Enigma Variations, for instance? Does anyone have a breakdown of the orchestral contributions?

Offline Dave H

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 03:42:46 AM »
He does all the major orchestral works, plus The Dream of Gerontius, specifically:
Symphonies 1 and 2, Enigma, Falstaff, Cello Concerto (w/ duPre, natrually), Sea Pictures (w/Baker), Introduction and Allegro, Serenade for Strings, Cockaigne, Froissart, Pomp and Circumstance, and a couple of short pieces that were on the English String Music disc (Elegy and Sospiri). These are all among his best recordings so if you want Barbirolli's Elgar, this is a great way to get it. Both this and the Vaughan Williams box are really intelligently put together.

Dave H

Offline sbugala

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 05:05:21 AM »
Thanks for the info! When times were a little lean recently, I sold my Vernon Handley Vaughan Williams cycle. I've now been able to reacquire it in the massive RVW set. (I'm just waiting for delivery.)  I got to thinking that the Elgar set might be good, too.  The only downside would be duplicating the few items I already have.  But if I could cajole a co-worker/friend into trading/buying a couple of those, I'm set.

Offline Don

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 12:51:39 PM »
I have long admired the Mahler song cycle recording, especially the "Ruckert Lieder", with Dame Janet Baker.

Other than that, I have not heard any more Mahler from him. Given that the songs were done with such sensitivity and warmth I would think he would fare well in some of the symphonies.
M10 Fanatic!

Offline Dave H

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 01:16:03 PM »
I think his Mahler 5 and 6 for EMI are both very special, some very slow tempos notwithstanding. The Berlin Ninth is neither well played nor well recorded, and it's surprisingly lacking in the intensity one would expect from Barbirolli. The various live/pirate recordings are uniformly disastrous in one way or another.

Dave H

Offline Don

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 11:59:28 PM »
Lucky for me, a friend has the Barbirolli 5th with the New Philharmonia. I do agree, it is slow (appropriate for a funeral march in the first movement) but has some wonderful moments and a sense of gravitas and a presence I miss in faster performances.

Worth checking out for sure.
M10 Fanatic!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk