Author Topic: Fischer/BFO M2 SACD  (Read 9115 times)

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
Fischer/BFO M2 SACD
« on: December 06, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
Just finished listening to this -- amazing!!  Lots of frissons, especially in the last part. 

But since I had found the Rattle/CBSO CD to be fairly boring (the only version I had until today), I am wondering if the SACD SQ played a large part in my experience.

What have other found in this respect, in terms of different versions of various works?

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Fischer/BFO M2 SACD
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 06:30:44 AM »
What's a frisson?   ;)

This happens to be my favorite overall recording of the work. None of them get every single detail 100% perfect, but this one comes closer than most. Like Klemperer, Fischer takes the second movement at a more flowing tempo, but then takes the scherzo slower than usual; bringing out the ironic humor behind St. Anthony's Sermon to the Fishes (the corresponding Wunderhorn song). After a solid mezzo performance, the finale is terrific. There could a tad more organ for my own liking, but it's sufficient. But more than any other recording I know of the work, Fischer's is best in clarifying Mahler's exacting polyphony between the the three tiefe glocken (deep bells) and two tam-tams (high and low pitched) at the end of the symphony. That may seem like a minor or purely academic point, but Mahler's polyphonic writing for the percussion is pretty much the only thing that's going on at the end of the symphony, other than the high brass sounding the tonic and dominant notes. Everything else is just pedal point and sustained chords. Also, Channel Classics did a terrific job in capturing a live performance in decent sound.

Offline Dave H

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 02:11:01 PM »
Ditto on what Barry said. And Rattle mostly IS boring, where he's not just plain incompetent.

Dave H

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 04:54:34 PM »
Frissons, for me, are shivers running up and down my spine.  In other words, emotional excitement and epiphanous experiences.

Not necessarily confined to music....

john haueisen

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 04:59:53 PM »
"Frissons"
Sounds like a good term.  I also like "epiphanous experiences."

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 05:01:01 PM »
Yeah, OK. It's probably the extra "oomph" of those bells and gongs that help push you over the edge. When they're inaudible, the end of the "Resurrection" symphony can actually sound pretty static. Again, this may seem like a point that only a Mahler-lover could care about, but it obviously meant a lot to Mahler himself, since he took the trouble to have his own set of bells casted (cast?) for the work.

My guess is that gongs (tam-tams) probably left something for the imagination in those days, but I'll bet that Mahler made certain that they got struck plenty hard. Remember, it was a common trick to end dramatic opera acts with a big gong roll in those days. Few conductors would resort to such "cheap theatrics" these days. 

Barry
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 05:05:02 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 05:29:55 PM »
I have tried to get this SACD several times both online and in stores, but the price was simply outrageous (over $30)  :-\

Does anyone know a good place to buy it?

John,

Offline Dave H

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 05:54:22 PM »
Why is that price outrageous? How much would a ticket to see the concert cost you? And why is $30+ bad just because you can get it cheaper with other forces on other labels? Listen folks, if the performance is a great one, $30 is a bargain, and it's the unwillingness of the supposed "hard core" classical listeners to dish out reasonable $$ to support hard-working independent labels that is at least partially responsible for the hard times the classical recordings industry is going through. If labels like Channel Classics, that do such excellent work, don't survive because you aren't willing to spend as much money as you would willingly dish out for a meal at a second-class restaurant, you will have no one but yourselves to blame. Consider yourselves on notice.

Dave H

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
Re: costs of CDs and SACDs
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 06:05:17 PM »
Whilst I certainly agree with Dave relative to the cost of discs of excellent performances, I paid about $18 including airmail shipping from MDT.  Their prices are generally less than anything stateside.

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 06:10:37 PM »
Yes, Barry, it probably was that extra oomph at the end!  I certainly heard the interplay between the percussion instruments as well.

Thanks, as always, for your incredibly insightful comments, in this case as to exactly what was happening at that point in the music!

I also would be interested in your opinion of Fischer's M6.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 06:52:51 PM by merlin »

Offline Dave H

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 08:35:20 PM »
Well, certainly if you can get the SAME DISC for less money, by all means, indulge! There's no reason anyone has to support a retailer (as opposed to a label). I routinely order Testament from the UK because it's about half the price as I often see here--but please, do support these fine independent labels. If you folks don't, then who will?

Dave H

Offline John Kim

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 09:15:38 PM »
Well, certainly if you can get the SAME DISC for less money, by all means, indulge! There's no reason anyone has to support a retailer (as opposed to a label). I routinely order Testament from the UK because it's about half the price as I often see here--but please, do support these fine independent labels. If you folks don't, then who will?

Dave H
I am willing to support independent labels like Channels and that's why I asked where I can get the M2 SACD at a reasonable price. For myself, I am not desperately looking for another M2 but since I have heard so much praise about this one I've decided to indulge. But I didn't think $30+ was reasonable because I felt I could get it a lower price elsewhere. It is always customers' best interest to buy things cheaply.

Regards,

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 10:57:48 PM »
I agree with all the postive comments here, this is a great M2 indeed!  I also really like Bertini's M2, but of course the Fischer has great sound.

--Todd

Offline brunumb

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 12:48:31 AM »
Hi John,
If you are in the US I find Newburycomics often have great prices.
The Fischer M2 is $23.95 plus $3.50 postage :
http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_viewupc.php?storenr=103&upc=72338523506

MDT in the UK currently have it at an offer price of GBP11.06 (ex VAT) plus postage (converts to about US$16.50 plus $1.10 postage to the US).
http://www.mdt.co.uk
I have bought many discs from them and their service is excellent.

Offline Damfino

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 02:22:26 AM »
John, you could do as i did and buy it from an Amazon seller. However, that did not work out well for me in this case. My copy has some sort of dropouts near the end, where the soprano makes her entrance over the quiet chorus. The seller never responded to my e-mails, and Amazon refunded the purchase. I will probably replace it at some point. I still have the discs, but seldom play it because the dropouts are so distracting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk