Author Topic: Fischer/BFO M2 SACD  (Read 9117 times)

Offline akiralx

Re: Fischer/BFO M2 SACD
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 09:20:51 AM »

It's very tempting - but do I really need a fourth M2 on SACD  ;D 

And that's in addition to all the great ones on CD....  But at MDT's price I may treat myself.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 07:33:00 AM »
I was asked for my thoughts on Fischer's Mahler 6, so here goes.

By and large, I feel that Fischer's "Resurrection" is clearly better than his M6. However, Fischer's  M6 isn't poor by any means. The first three movements are rather quick and light weight - almost as though they are preludes to the finale. The finale, though, really is quite good. As I recall, the hammer blows aren't overwhelming, but are clearly sufficient. Timings are fairly similar to Abbado's recent Berlin remake on DG. Naturally, it's better recorded than the Abbado. In the first movement, I like how Fischer's "Alma theme" - the second subject of the exposition - simply jumps right out of the box. It's not in the least bit lethargic sounding, or overly languorous.

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 08:31:50 PM »
Thanks, Barry.  I have the Barbirolli/NPO of M6, and although the performance is mostly excellent, the basically inaudible hammer blows absolutely ruin the last part.  Without them being quite loud, the whole point of the symphony is lost.

From what you wrote about Fischer M6, it would seem that you much prefer Zinman's version.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 06:16:26 PM »
"From what you wrote about Fischer M6, it would seem that you much prefer Zinman's version"

I would say that Fischer is the equal of Zinman in the finale. However, Zinman has HUGE hammer strokes - really, almost too much - and his first three movements are more substantial than Fischer's. For the moment, Zinman's Mahler 6 is my personal favorite. It validates that I wasn't entirely out of my mind for preferring Zinman's S.F. performance of M6 to MTT's (which I loathed).

Barry

Offline techniquest

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 10:57:37 PM »
It's very tempting - but do I really need a fourth  M2 on SACD

Yes, of course you do! You can never have too many M2's (or 3's or 8's...)

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 04:43:53 AM »
Listened to this disc for the second time just a short while ago, and was blown away again.  The performance and SQ are astounding.

And I immediately ordered his M6.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk