Author Topic: Oh dear...  (Read 4768 times)

Offline Russ Smiley

Oh dear...
« on: November 28, 2012, 04:42:31 AM »
Surely DG could have come up with a better cover for this release:
http://www.amazon.com/Symphony-No-9-Mahler/dp/B00A0IOIYQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1354076905&sr=1-1&keywords=mahler
Instead of befitting a performance of one of the greatest works in late Romantic era, it looks instead like an advertisement for Professor Dudamel's Creepy Chemistry Class.
Maybe that's what it takes to appeal to Generation X, Y, Z, whatever...
Sad
Russ Smiley

Offline Clov

Re: Oh dear...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 05:37:13 AM »
'x, y, z' comment probably not far from the truth. They know it'd turn heads, wink wink, experimental advertising, nothing wrong with that, gotta hear it to knock it.  ;)

Their Ring cycle highlights with a helicopter cover art got bad pub, a while back, cant even find it in a search now, the internet has spead up time.  :)  [/i]

'A man of means by no means.' - Roger Miller

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:53:10 AM »
It is an odd cover, and $19.75 for a single-disc release seems pretty steep, especially given Dudamel's checkered history with Mahler symphonies (though I did hear him do a spectacular M5 with the NYPO in 2009, an experience I'll always treasure). It's possible Amazon made a mistake and it's really a two-disc set, given that his live LAPO M9 at the Barbican Centre went on for 88 minutes.

Did Dudamel really do a CD of Ring highlights? I completely missed that one. A helicopter? Linking the inevitable Walkürenritt to Apocalypse Now? Or maybe they included a string-orchestra arrangement of Stockhausen's Helicopter Quartet as filler. Now that would take a lot of helicopters!

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 07:13:28 AM »
Señor Dudamel has a Mahler 7 due out in early 2013, this time with his Orquesta Sinfónica Simón Bolívar. I can't find any cover art yet.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline Clov

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 02:37:05 AM »
It is an odd cover, and $19.75 for a single-disc release seems pretty steep, especially given Dudamel's checkered history with Mahler symphonies (though I did hear him do a spectacular M5 with the NYPO in 2009, an experience I'll always treasure). It's possible Amazon made a mistake and it's really a two-disc set, given that his live LAPO M9 at the Barbican Centre went on for 88 minutes.

Did Dudamel really do a CD of Ring highlights? I completely missed that one. A helicopter? Linking the inevitable Walkürenritt to Apocalypse Now? Or maybe they included a string-orchestra arrangement of Stockhausen's Helicopter Quartet as filler. Now that would take a lot of helicopters!

James

Not Dudamel, but Duetsche Grammophone. I guess it's been 10 years, maybe even fifteen now.
'A man of means by no means.' - Roger Miller

Offline chris

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 01:39:41 AM »
The hmv.co.jp listing says it's two discs.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk