Author Topic: Gilbert Kaplan and his M2  (Read 7946 times)

john haueisen

Gilbert Kaplan and his M2
« on: October 19, 2008, 11:21:26 PM »
Friday night, I attended the Cincinnati performance of Gilbert Kaplan's M2.

Although the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra turned in an exceptional performance, and the singing of the May Festival Chorus under Robert Porco was among the best I've heard, the soloists also excelled:
Christianne Stotijn, a student of Jard van Ness, was the best mezzo I've heard in the M2. 
Varying from a soft sound to greater projection, she was always clear, entirely intelligible, and always evocative of Mahler's weltschmerz.
The soprano, Janice Chandler-Eteme, was not far behind her.

But the real stunner was Gil Kaplan himself.  His pre-concert multimedia presentation, "The World of Gustav Mahler," was the most outstanding program on Mahler that I've ever seen.  In telling Mahler's story, Kaplan touched on most of the symphonies, accompanied by musical excerpts and related photographs.  But the clincher was Gil Kaplan.  His narration was so moving and personal that I found myself tearing up--the first time that's ever happened to me at a lecture.

GustavMahlerBoard members:  If you ever have a chance to attend a Gilbert Kaplan concert and lecture, please take advantage of it.  In Kaplan, you'll feel you've discovered a brother.
--John Haueisen

Offline brunumb

Re: Gilbert Kaplan and his M2
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 07:04:04 AM »
Sounds great ! 
ME
I'm tearing-up at the thought of what I have missed  :'(

Offline Damfino

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 03:21:56 PM »
I quite enjoy Kaplan's recording of the 2nd with the VPO (sounds great in SACD). Though it does not include a lecture, Kaplan's liner notes are almost as good. The CD has a gazillion track breaks, so you can follow Kaplan's notes the entire way. I'd love to go to a concert like the one you attended!

john haueisen

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 01:06:54 AM »
Damfino, thanks for the description of the VPO liner notes.
I'm ashamed to admit that I had not yet looked at them.
Your comments will see to it that I'll give them their deserved attention now.
--John H

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 04:27:26 AM »
I was once lucky enough to be invited to a BMG sponsored lunch with Gibert Kaplan. He later sent me a copy of Fulop's Mahler discography book with a personal note from him on the inside cover page. He's a really wonderful man; and with the single exception of the mezzo employed, I really like his VPO recording of the corrected edition of the "Resurrection" symphony. Heck, I like the earlier LSO one pretty well too. With Stotijan involved, not to mention the fine acoustics in Cincinnati, I'll bet that that was a wonderful performance indeed. Lucky you.

Barry
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 04:53:41 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 08:08:19 AM »
I have to say the vinyl release of the Gilbert Kaplan LSO/M2 has incredible sound...the tam tam smashes in the 1st movement have real power...I have yet to hear the whole performance on vinyl, but from what I've heard so far, it's nearly my top M2...but I've always liked this recording, as it was my first Mahler record.

--Todd

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 05:20:28 AM »
As I nursed my back after shoveling far too much snow yesterday, I had an opportunity to indulge in M2 recordings today.  Over the last week I've through Blomstedt/SFSO, Bertini/KRSO, Mehta/VPO, Jarvi/Frankfurt RSO, Meht/IPO, Ozawa/Saito Kinen, and Kaplan/LSO.  Darn, that MCA performance is good....  I wasn't keen on his VPO remake, and he gets a lot of heat for his wealth juxtaposed with his amateur credentials,  but there is a lot to like in this performance.  I'd welcome reading the opinion of others (including gentle rebuttals).
Russ Smiley

Offline waderice

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 02:06:24 PM »
I have to say the vinyl release of the Gilbert Kaplan LSO/M2 has incredible sound...the tam tam smashes in the 1st movement have real power...I have yet to hear the whole performance on vinyl, but from what I've heard so far, it's nearly my top M2...but I've always liked this recording, as it was my first Mahler record.

--Todd

I have to admit that I prefer Kaplan's earlier LSO account performance-wise to his later VPO recording, even if the latter reflects the last intentions of Mahler himself.  And you can't beat having legendary Mahlerian Maureen Forrester to sing the contralto part.  Do you also have the MCA-issue CD set with the two thick CD-size books?  If so, how does the sound of the vinyl compare to the CD?

Wade

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 03:40:53 AM »
I have to admit that I prefer Kaplan's earlier LSO account performance-wise to his later VPO recording, even if the latter reflects the last intentions of Mahler himself... Wade

Nice to know I'm not alone in that opinion.  Thanks.
Russ Smiley

Offline Roffe

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 06:22:37 AM »
To be 100% sure. Is this the Kaplan recording to go for?

Symphony No. 2 in C minor ("Resurrection")
Composed by Gustav Mahler
Performed by London Symphony Orchestra
with Benita Valente, Maureen Forrester
Conducted by Gilbert Kaplan
Audio CD (October 25, 1990)
Number of Discs: 1
Label: Mca

Roffe

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 08:21:25 AM »
I think they're both of value. I would try to hear the V.P.O. one as well, at some point.

Offline waderice

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 12:38:33 PM »
I think they're both of value. I would try to hear the V.P.O. one as well, at some point.

Yes, they're both of value.  As an overall performance, I prefer the LSO account, as I said earlier.  But AFAIK, the VPO account is the only available recording to reflect the latest Gustav Mahler Gesellschaft edition by Universal of Mahler's final intentions with the work.  The spirit seems to be there with the LSO account.  Plus, I like the two information-packed CD-size booklets on the work with the LSO set.  And to Barry's certain delight, there's plenty of organ overdubbed on the LSO recording!

Wade
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:11:22 PM by waderice »

Offline Damfino

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 02:53:24 PM »
I only recently picked up the LSO version. I already liked the VPO SACD recording; but I do find the LSO one to have a bit more zip to it. Each movement is about a minute faster on the LSO version.

Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk