Author Topic: OT:Hans Vonk and the SLSO  (Read 5270 times)

Offline sbugala

OT:Hans Vonk and the SLSO
« on: October 10, 2007, 03:51:53 AM »
Hello,
    The Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra has released four discs in tribute to their former music director, Hans Vonk.  Evidently, they've partnered with Pentatone to distribute them.  http://www.slso.org/vonk/index.htm I got mine today and so far, they're pretty good.  I'd rather say they acquit themselves nicely rather than boldly proclaim they ARE THE BESTS DISCS EVER! I attended the Bruckner 4th and Messiaen Turangalîla-symphonie concerts and walked away ecstatic.  The price seems reasonable at $12 each with $2 shipping, and I got mine fast.  (Of course, I live in St. Louis.) 

Another fine concert, Vonk's last as director, a Mahler 4th, will be released in 2008.  A reminder, the orchestra recorded  a Mahler 1st and a Bruckner 7th a few years ago that I like a lot, and they're only $10 each via the gift shop.  http://www.slso.org/gift/index.htm  Although I'm biased towards my "hometown band," I rather like this 1st.  Because of poor distribution to this point, it's been neglected, even though I think it's under-rated.

Make no mistake, I think the orchestra has become much better under David Robertson, but if these sound interesting, give them a try. It may mean future releases from the vaults.

Regards,
Steven

Offline barry guerrero

Re: OT:Hans Vonk and the SLSO
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 02:41:17 PM »
Thanks to Steven, I can testify that the Mahler 1 and "Turangalila Symphony" (Messiaen) are really, really good.

Barry

Offline sbugala

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 03:13:05 AM »
Thanks, Barry. 

I finished listening to their Bruckner 4th for the second time, and there's some pretty nice tuba work in the quiet section leading to the grand finale. Beautiful stuff.  It was as funereal as the better known part in the Adagio to the 7th. 

Offline sbugala

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 10:18:04 PM »
David Hurwitz gave the Messaien disc a 9/9.  http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=11294

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 12:06:54 AM »
No, no more M4th please! My shelve is crowded with M4ths. What I need are a decent M6th, a gorgeous M7th, and an omnipresent M9th :(

John,

Offline sbugala

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 12:32:19 AM »
Believe me, I'm in the same boat. I try to rationalize it by jettisoning a version when I get a new one, but I can't really do that in some cases. For instance, I want to get Zinman's new M3, but I love the other versions I have.

With the Vonk M4, when it's released, I won't abide by my rule, since it's my local orchestra.  Hopefully, it'll be as good as my memory says it was.

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 03:53:39 AM »
Can someone please provide timings of the M1?  Some time ago, someone loaded an M1 on Usenet that listed the SLSO as the orchestra.  It did not list the conductor nor a recording date.  I assumed that it was a radio rip, not any sort of commercial release.  I've never even listened to it, but now you've peaked my interest. 
Scott

Offline sbugala

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 05:51:25 AM »
Here they are:

I. 15:36
II. 7:38
III. 10:22
IV. 18:21

Total Time 51:59

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 05:28:16 PM »
I quite enjoyed Vonk's M2 from the Brilliant Classics Mahler box...I will have to revist this M2 shortly.

--Leo

Offline sbugala

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 03:40:58 AM »
I wasn't as enamored with his M2 when I heard it on Vanguard (if we're talking about the same one), but I'd probably have to attribute that to the recorded sound, if I recall.

Regarding his Fourth...After his battles with ALS, he recovered for a time, and was able to lead this concert.  He received a standing ovation when entering the hall at the beginning of the concert, which I thought was very moving.  In fairness, I need to remember to be objective when the disc comes out because while I recall it was a beautiful concert, it's hard to disassociate the heroism of pressing on from the actual artistic merits. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk